Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Crossbar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check the welds on your AI's. Yesterday I was attaching the amas to the crossbars to go for a sail and noticed the weld where the ama attaches to the crossbar is cracked; It hasn't had any rough use. I'm pretty bummed.

Additionally, my mirage drive malfunctions every other trip out. The rear fin pops out. I can't seem to get the allen screw tight enough and fear stripping it if I torque it too much. the hole where the rod enters the unit is getting increasingly elongated due to it coming apart while under pedal power. The mirage drive also fails to remain locked into the hull during use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talk to your dealer. All your problems should be able to be fixed under warranty. Hobie is great that way.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hopefully they can replace the part with the same matte finish as the rest of the parts. I noticed the AI metal parts are all gloss finish now. I tried to make it to the dealer before they closed yesterday. I'll catch them on my next day off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

donjoe wrote:
Hopefully they can replace the part with the same matte finish as the rest of the parts. I noticed the AI metal parts are all gloss finish now. I tried to make it to the dealer before they closed yesterday. I'll catch them on my next day off.

I believe the older matte finish is the annodized version. The newer stye Hobie calls "e" coated. I have 2 Islands boats each with the different kinds.

The glossy color looks cooler but the salt water seems to bother the "e" coated ones more - there is some pickeling, bubbling occuring. The older annodized one does not exibit this problem.

Otherwise they function identically.

Good luck

Post subject: Re: Broken Crossbar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

donjoe wrote:
The rear fin pops out. I can't seem to get the Allen screw tight enough and fear stripping it if I torque it too much. the hole where the rod enters the unit is getting increasingly elongated due to it coming apart while under pedal power. The mirage drive also fails to remain locked into the hull during use.

If your mast hole is elongated at all, the Allenhead screw will no longer be able to hold it in place. Check your other sprocket while you're at it. You have two options.

1. Replace the sprocket. You can replace it with the same fitting (using Locktite Blue on the Allenhead to keep it in place) and risk the same result down the line or try the new threaded sprocket and mast and solve your problem. If you do that, just remember to use Locktite Blue to secure the mast so that it doesn't unscrew (standard factory procedure).

2. If the hole isn't too widened, you should be able to epoxy the assembly together (including the Allenhead screw) and get a good result. You have nothing to lose by trying it since you would otherwise throw the old sprocket away.

If the Mirage Drive is unlocking, especially on the Starboard side, your right heel is probably accidentally unscrewing it. If so, you just need to be aware of it. There isn't much you can do about it except change your foot position. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies. I think epoxy is in my future! As far as the mirage drive coming loose, I definately am not hitting it with my foot. I thought that may be the case so Ive kept a close eye on it. Ive been sailing the AI now for about 15 months, the part has been coming loose from day one. There's no resistance on the right side; it almost seems like the bolt is too long, but it cant be tightened anymore - and I definately dont want to strip it! Im thinking of shimming it with a nylon washer or something. Thanks again all for your replies. I mainly just wanted to make you all aware of the crack in the crossbar and the post sort of turned into a vent session. Overall I love this little boat. Ive never owned anything so versitile.

-Joe