Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Problems
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

Friday I was out and the wind dropped off. I furled the sail and pedalled.

But the mast was bouncing around pretty bad.Only when the wind came up and I released the sail did the mast stop bouncing.

I was prety sure the yoke was OK. I had tighten it up pretty good and loctited (verb?) it pretty good. So a closer inspection was called for.

It appears that the glue on the furling device had failed.( I know this problem was raised before, but can't find the posts.) You can see it has moved up a1/4 of an inch or so..

Is this covered by warranty?

If not how does one fix it?

I'm presumming th slack created enough wobble effect equivalent to the original "bouncing" around I initially mentioned.

Mahalo for any tips.

Dan

Last edited by AlohaDan on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,
I had a similar failure on my 08 AI after about 5 months of use. It was fixed under warranty by my local Hobie dealer and has been fine ever since. :)
He ground off the old epoxy and re-glued the drum to the mast.
Here's the original post:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8017

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,

I see quite a bit of wear on the bottom side of your furling drum, meaning it is riding on the bearing collar. My wife's boat had that problem, and if you adjust the v-brace you can raise the mast just a bit so it rides only on the ball bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,
I had this happen to mine within a few serious sails. Being a boa tbuilder I had some System 3 epoxy laying around. I pulled the reel down and using a rasp I knocked off the original glue and than inserted some 80 grit paper between the mast and reel facing out so spinning the reel would knock off some of the glue on that. I washed it down with some lacquer thinner and than mixed some epoxy and thickened it to creamy butter consistency. I than slathered on the mast and spun the reel up while feeding more epoxy into the slot. Let it sit for 2 days to really get the strength set.
I think the reasoning is that reefing puts a great torque on the reel which makes sense.
I have had no further problem. I have fixed the neighbor's boat also. He tried JB Weld but it didn't hold for long.
Or you can take it to the dealer and be without for awhile :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, A friend here on Maui had the same problem after a couple of sails. We called Hobie and was told to re-glue it like Phil did and no problems.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Tom

I see quite a bit of wear on the bottom side of your furling drum, meaning it is riding on the bearing collar. My wife's boat had that problem, and if you adjust the v-brace you can raise the mast just a bit so it rides only on the ball bearings.

Not sure I get this. The ball ring is attached to the yaku crosspiece.How does adjusting the yoke effect it? :?: :?:

BTW I have delivered the mast for regluing to the dealer. Hope to have it back in two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The V brace changes the deck height and therefore the height of your cross bar and mast bearing plate. As Tom astutely noticed from the obvious rubbing, the plate is too high and your mast may have been supported by this instead of the receiver base; in fact, that is probably what unseated your furling drum. If you lower your deck height, the mast will properly rest at base of the mast receiver and not on the bearing plate. You may find that it furls better too!

To adjust, loosen the nuts at either end of the turnbuckle barrels, rotate the barrels to shorten the forks, measure the total length of each turnbuckle to make sure they are matched, then tighten the nuts. An acceptable height will allow the mast to lock in with at least 1/8 inch vertical play and let the mast rotate freely with at least a 1/8" gap between the furling drum and your receiver plate.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks.

I'll give it a try when I get the mast back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great and informative post Roadrunner. I now understand.....Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
The V brace changes the deck height and therefore the height of your cross bar and mast bearing plate. As Tom astutely noticed from the obvious rubbing, the plate is too high and your mast may have been supported by this instead of the receiver base; in fact, that is probably what unseated your furling drum. If you lower your deck height, the mast will properly rest at base of the mast receiver and not on the bearing plate. You may find that it furls better too!

On the other hand it could have been rubbing because it came unglued. When the mast came unglued from the base then the mast simply slid down the base until it came to rest on plate.

The rubbing could have caused it to become unglued but it would definitely rub if it was not glued because the furling drum would then be the only thing supporting the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would add to what Roadrunner said that you should adjust the V-brace with the mast installed. That way you can watch it move up and down as you rotate the turnbuckles and get it to just the right height. As I mentioned elsewhere, if you get the mast too high, the locking device will not engage and the mast could pop out. If you get it too low, it will rub and maybe eventually pop the glue loose on the furler drum, as happened to AlohaDan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darwinian wrote:
On the other hand it could have been rubbing because it came unglued. When the mast came unglued from the base then the mast simply slid down the base until it came to rest on plate.

The rubbing could have caused it to become unglued but it would definitely rub if it was not glued because the furling drum would then be the only thing supporting the mast.

No, I don't think so. That furling drum slid UP, not down, and did so after quite a bit of rubbing. It seems pretty obvious that the furling drum was supporting the weight of the mast. The mast base is supposed to do that, but was too far down on Dan's boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,

I find this discussion interesting, but I am very limited by the terminology with which I am not familiar. AlohaDan’s picture, which I have added numbers to the various “parts,â€

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, this may not be right but here is the terminology I assumed. 1 is the furling drum. That is the little drum the orange and blue line is wrapped around. 2 is the base of the furling drum but not the base of the mast. 3 is the bearing race. 6 is the locking ring. The locking device should snap closed just above this ring. 7 is the glue and 8 is the base of the mast. 5 appears to be wear caused by the locking device riding too high.

There may be a lot better and official terminology somewhere but this will work until someone points out the official terminology.

I would be interested to know if, when the picture was taken, the base had been pulled out from the mast. In other words, if you put pressure on it, would the glued part, or more correctly the unglued part, slip further inside the mast?

Ron Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

had the same thing happen to mine, sanded off old glue and reglued been fine since. will check v brace to make sure that is adjusted correctly