Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to thank all the suggestions & the sprited debate (5pages worth in my Cracked Window Thread). After all, an Island without a sail is a pretty lame sailboat.

Thanks Matt & Dogg - Yes the Window CAN be replaced by a competent sail loft. $230.00, and done by the next day!

Guy that did it has been doing this for 15+ years, and has made & repaired all kinds of sails- many with windows. He also has sailed boats, including Hobies. Making him both qualified and competent.

If needing window replaced; an important caveat- make sure you don't remove your window or allow it to blow out completely. The sail maker needs the old window in the sail to make sure the shape and size of new one fit perfectly.

Mine was intact enough so I was OK there.

He looked at the damaged Hobie window on my sail while I was telling him I wanted the 6mil mylar just like that. He didn't think too much about Hobies choice of material and walked over to his bench and said: "No, I think you will find this better." I think to myself :roll: Now what am I getting myself into.

He hands me a scrap of this new window material, says its about 2wice the price of my existing mylar but far more durable.
OK - now my curiosity is peaked.

He says to me "Fold it... Try to make a crease in it." Hmm. Ya, thats interesting, I mumble, as I struggle to fold a crease into the window scrap. I immediately notice the material has much more reinforcing thread, feels thicker & less brittle. Seemed to resist creasing despite tring to fold it.

He assures me this is the "stuff" and that it won't stretch and is stronger.

OK, I say; Do it.

Sail Looks GREAT. He replaced window and even double stiched some seams. I Have not tried it yet, but am anxious to.

Here is some pics - hobies window on top - new one on bottom

Now a close up of new material

Notice White thread instead of black. Hobie has threads every 1.5 inches. New window has threads every .75 inches AND a 1/4 inch fabric thread mesh running thru the window. :shock:

New Window looses a tiny bit of visability but that is no big deal

Last edited by Yakaholic on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
He looked at the Hobie window material on my sail while I was telling him I wanted the 6mil mylar like that. He didn't think too much about Hobies choice of material and walked over to his bench and said "no, I think you will find this better."

cough cough...

Well... Joe wasn't quite as vocal a minute ago, when I rolled an AI sail out for him to check. But I know that look when he uses it. :roll:

But then he's also a sail snob, and underwhelmed by just about everyone else's work but his. :D

Glad it worked out. That looks like your guy might have used DP Flex or Bainbridge Diax. Both are good stuff.

Let us know how it sails post tune-up.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup, I'm happy with the fixed sail & will post further tests. It was more than I wanted to spend but will be satisfied if I get another 2 or 3 years of use out of the sail.

Stuff wears out. Glad if info I provide helps other owners or Hobie. Window material I got might cost ~$30 more per sail over what Hobie offers now. Maybe newer Islands sails should get extra-reinforced windows - passing cost onto customer.
Maybe it is overkill - food for thought anyway.

My 5 year old little Hobie kayak sail uses the same window material as the Island & is in good shape. But, that sail has only seen very limited use - less than 100 hours - and sees no where near the stresses as the Island.

In all my posts I never ever want to leave the impression that I am somehow not satisfied with my purchase. Far from it! I believe it to be an outstanding boat and want to keep it in good shape. If I can help Hobie or others make improvments all the better.

I also learned much about sailmaking and sail materials along the way; and any day you learn something is a good day.

thanks

Last edited by Yakaholic on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This has been a very informative discussion with lots of great input. Thanks Yak for the topic and conclusion.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Yakaholic, excellent thread, very good conclusion.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yak,
What Roadrunner and Keith said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the extra thin mesh in the new window material. Should make it hard for any future cracks to get very far.

Thanks, Yak! :)