Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sold my Newport 16 sailboat so that I could buy a Hobie Adventure Island. Today I picked up my new boat from my local dealer. It is a 2011 model with the old twist & stow rudder.

I started assembling the boat as soon as I got home . There are many things that I really like on this AI compared to the TI that I have been sailing for the past 7 months. Even though the hull is smaller the distance from the bow to the front aka is longer. The rear storage is also much longer. It was dark by the time I had the boat assembled.

I noticed that some of the plastic trimming was not as clean as I would expect. The rear storage scupper holes have some plastic overlap making it hard to fit the scupper plug. The rudder steering line holes were undercut and look like a source for water leaks.

On my TI I had problems with my screw-in fittings. The TI plugs could not be fully screwed in because of the remaining tap shavings in the holes. Some of the AI holes have shavings, but not as bad as the TI.

But the thing that I noticed the most is that Hobie has changed how they tap the threads in the plastic cups.

The threads are NOT FULLY FORMED !!! Most only have 2-3 partially cut threads. As a engineer I have concerns with that. I am not sure that if enough pull is applied the fitting will pull out.

=================
MATT,

IS THIS NORMAL HOBIE PROCEDURE OR A PRODUCTION PROBLEM???

DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING HERE???
=================

I did not inspect the inside of the hull until I had the boat assembled. When I opened the center hatch something caught my eye. Next to the centerboard trunk there is a imperfection that looks like it has been sanded down. I had to disassemble the boat so that I could inspect the bottom.

You can not see it in a picture but there is a slight dimple on the outside just aft and inboard of the centerboard trunk.

Another thing that I noticed while inspecting the bottom is that the hull has a slight bump right where the mast support is. This protrudes below the keel line of the boat. This area will wear faster. The picture does not show this.

=============
Are the support turnbuckles too tight???
=============

The AI is a beautiful boat. I can not wait to get her on the water.

But it is these few small items that I need to verify if they are OK or if I need to do something about...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. I know your AI is big, but I had to scroll back and forth to view the pics and read the message. :? :)

Congrats on the new boat! She looks sweet.

A few answers:

The ground down dimple in the center hatch is normal. Drips from the mold vent removed.

A little Marine Silicon Adhesive will fix up rudder line areas.

I've had to use a round file on some scupper holes to clean them up too.

Most AI's seem to bulge a little at the mast cup area, but you can adjust it some with the turnbuckles. Just be sure you keep a little clearance from the mast drum (less than 1/2 the thickness of the reefing line is best).

I don't know about the tap threads, but I'd be concerned too. I leash much to them and expect them to stay with the boat!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Those fitting threads are cut i with a special tap. Some of the holes are a little oversize so the tap doesn't engage the plastic for the full thread count. These fittings are not designed to support serious weight -- mostly bungee fittings and some light duty padeyes (as opposed to lift handles). Amazingly they seem to hold position pretty well anyway.

My boats all seem to have varying bumps ahead of the drivewell -- with or without the "V" brace. You can put a piece of clear package tape over it if it is a wear point and replace it as necessary. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the input. I was a little nervous buying a boat on Friday the 13th.

The screw fittings are my biggest concern. Most of the low thread count are around the aft storage well where I plan on tying down my gear for the long hauls.

I have used plenty of sealers and made many modifications on my TI. I bought her used. The AI is brand new. It is like buying a new car. You always remember the first scratch...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dogs,

I just bought a used 2011 (made Oct, 2010). Also, dune. It had the same "imperfection" in the hull below the center hatch--but it does not seem to be a problem. I have not checked any of the threaded cups by unscrewing the fitting; however, I did check all the cups manually, by feeling them by reaching inside the hatch openings. There have been too many "bad" cups lately, if comments on this forum are any indication. All cups on my boat seem to be fine.

I've been very lucky to get the new "dynamic" rudder ("vertical" rudder, seems a better name.) If anything, I would call the original T-n-S rudder "dynamic" with the way it turned, twisted, and flopped onto/off the stern. My initial impression of the vertical rudder--wow! Simple, functional, sturdy. Can't wait to try it (that will be tomorrow.)

One thing seems a bit strange are the closed foam fillers. Two (one each along the rails on each side of the cockpit) take up valuable storage space. When I installed the new vertical rudder, a pulley caught on one of these fillers and kicked it into the bow of the boat. I see no purpose for these rail fillers and have removed them. There is another foam filler behind the seat, below the rear storage area. That may serve some support purpose, and I don't intend to remove that. On camping trips, that area was also a "black hole." Things disappeared in that space, only to be found weeks or months later.

All in all, I love this "new" boat. What an improvement over my 2007--amazing.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow those large photos make it hard to read. If you are not aware, generally there is a very easy Windows re-size software (Paint) on most computers, that is also very easy to use. What system are you using and I may be able to help you make them smaller, so it makes the forum more user friendly.

Congrats on the new model AI and am looking forward to hearing how these new rudders perform for everyone.

All those lumps and bumps, also the mast keeper and the bulge were normal on my 2007 model as well. Those threads look a bit dodgy however and I think I would share the same concerns.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dogs,

I see you have tramps AND a paddle--how do you paddle with the tramps on?

Hopefully, when you get the new vertical rudder you won't need a paddle to use as a manual rudder. So, with tramps, does the paddle become extra baggage?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:

One thing seems a bit strange are the closed foam fillers. Two (one each along the rails on each side of the cockpit) take up valuable storage space. When I installed the new vertical rudder, a pulley caught on one of these fillers and kicked it into the bow of the boat. I see no purpose for these rail fillers and have removed them. There is another foam filler behind the seat, below the rear storage area. That may serve some support purpose, and I don't intend to remove that. On camping trips, that area was also a "black hole." Things disappeared in that space, only to be found weeks or months later.

I removed them as well Keith thinking that the side foam fillers are there just for transportation from the factory to the distributor.

Is that the official word Matt ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the foam was added to comply with a standard that required the hull to float even if full of water. Removing any foam would presumably mean non compliance with the standard?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a definite possibility, Stringy, but I need the space, and we know, from reports on the forum, that that AI with amas attached will float when full of water.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon