Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I've discovered an alarming crack in the hull of my year old TI. I was preparing the boat for an outing (it's 5th since new) and I discovered this crack in the hull. This is the cleat position for the seat well drain plug in the aft seat. It should be noted that when I sail alone I sail from the front seat and it's my understanding that this isn't exactly a load bearing component of the hull. The cleat insert has never been moved since I took delivery.

I'll be going to my dealer on Monday to discuss with them about a warranty claim, but I bought the boat in Puerto Rico so I'm not exactly expecting a timely solution. Is this repairable given its awkward location?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have to repair this type of crack (temporary to extend use before replacement, or permanently):

When I had one like this, I used a PVC cap that just fits over ALL of the bulge but tight-ish.
You will need the proper epoxy (only a couple types will work permanently).
Temporarily remove the plastic screwed-in "cleat".
Also drill a small hole just beyond , and in-line with the crack(s) to stop them from traveling any further.
Fill the cap with enough epoxy to fill the excess space.
Temporally tape in place as needed till hardened.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like the screwed in cleat is a bit to long or screwed in with to much force
When you take it out shorten it for just a millimeter or two
For the rest see kayakingbob’s replay
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KayakingBob wrote:
If you have to repair this type of crack (temporary to extend use before replacement, or permanently):

When I had one like this, I used a PVC cap that just fits over ALL of the bulge but tight-ish.
You will need the proper epoxy (only a couple types will work permanently).
Temporarily remove the plastic screwed-in "cleat".
Also drill a small hole just beyond , and in-line with the crack(s) to stop them from traveling any further.
Fill the cap with enough epoxy to fill the excess space.
Temporally tape in place as needed till hardened.

Good luck.

Thanks for the insight! I'm a bit frustrated I didn't think of the pvc cap fix myself. Before I got your reply and in the hopes I would still get out on the water, I had already stop drilled the crack on the deck side and filled everything in with 5200. I thought better of the whole deal and haven't taken it out while I wait to hear something from my dealer. I'm going to do my best to clean out the 5200 and I'll report back with pictures of the fix.

dutchman wrote:
It looks like the screwed in cleat is a bit to long or screwed in with to much force
When you take it out shorten it for just a millimeter or two
For the rest see kayakingbob’s replay
Peter

Big agree. I've since removed the cleat plug to inspect the crack but as it's pictured above is how I took delivery of the boat. The position of the of the plug makes the area very hard to see without a camera pointing up at the deck from inside the hull. Anyway that's my excuse for not spotting this earlier as I suspect it's been cracked since I got it. I've always taken on small but noticeable amounts of water after a day out.