Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spare parts list
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

going to pick up the new AI next wednesday.
knowing Hobie quality i really do not expect much in the form of breakage in the coming months, or even years, but also realizing that i am more than 100 miles from my nearest dealer it seemed that a replacement parts list covering those items most likely to need replacement or repair over time would be a good idea .
if you guys and gals who have had experience with the AI could chip in with your thoughts it would be appreciated.
thanks
wally
:)

Post subject: Re: spare parts list
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not sure about the recent AI models, but occasionally a rudder pin will break on the older models, you might want to pick up a couple spare rudder pins, just in case.

I have hit my mirage drive fins on reef a couple times and torn the flippers, you might pick up a couple extra flippers.

The drain plug on the newer models is at the furthest most point on the back of the boat, on the bottom, I usually have to lift my kayak so it pivots on that point. I'm usually doing this on concrete, asphalt, sand, etc...these things aren't kind to that drain plug, you might get an extra one of those.

Maybe a spare dagger board in case you run aground and damage it. I have an old fiberglass one which is more apt to be damaged, I'm not sure about the new plastic ones.

Really, there isn't much you need, the things I listed are all rare occurrences, the AI is a great boat that doesn't need a lot of replacement parts! :D

Good luck, have fun
JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spare plugs are a great idea. Daggers are rarely leashed so they are easier to lose than most important parts.

I have a spare steering line, rudder, and tiller handle. Never needed them.

But drive parts are another matter. F'sure, I would invest in the mirage drive spare/repair kit.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/884/Hobie-Mirage-Drive-Spare-Parts-Kit-Turbo-Fins.html

Or a spare drive if you got a tax refund coming.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Congratulations on your new AI! To the best of my knowledge, there is no particular single item that is likely to fail. Now in its fifth year of production, early AI parts prone to failure have been redesigned or replaced by now. Rather than buying a bunch of spare parts that you will probably never use, you'll be better off learning to inspect the boat and Drive on a regular basis, and having a bottle of Loctite Blue on hand to secure any screws that may loosen over time (mast collar, "V" brace, etc).

You should receive a couple of spare parts included with your boat that Hobie considers subject to failure if damaged (rudder pin and aka brace connector). Additionally, an unexpected broken part would rarely strand you, since you're carrying 3 different means of propulsion. Even so, you can use your paddle as a emergency rudder; the Mirage Drive can lose or break almost any part (including a fin) and still retain some or most of its function. It's hard to get into trouble with this boat!

If you do break something, it can usually be shipped to you within a few days at most. That way you'll pay for only what you need (if it's not covered by warranty).

If you're planning any extended cruises, there is lots of great information here on the forum for suggested parts and equipment to have on hand. 8)