Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the new 2012 TI is very weak plastic. When my cousin of 70 kg, aka sat on the back, I saw like plastic central body where the crossbar is anchored back, down to a centimeter with the movement of the waves.
Now I have fear that someone is seated on aka while I sail, because I think the plastic may break or fissure where it is crossed by the screws of the crossbar.

Does anyone know if I could get to break or crack the plastic to go sailing on the akas? This information is very important and can not find instructions on limiting weight on the akas.

The same would happen if we sail on akabench. The plastic yield. Could it break or crack the plastic akas the area of the screw holes? I was sailing with 20 knot winds and 1.5 meter waves. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like your particular hull might had a thin spot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abisal12:
I don't know of anyone breaking their TI's in or around the AKA cross bar mounting points (at least no one has mentioned it on the forum that I have seen). Though I suspect we are not supposed to, we and others have had quite a bit of weight on our TI's on many occasions. The label on the trampolines I think says max weight 200 lbs (90 kg) each tramp. I weigh over 100 kg and if I jump on an AMA it doesn't sink completely, so I assume each AMA's boyancy is around 250 lbs (113kg).
In the US the plaque on the hull is printed max 2 occupents 600 lbs (272kg), but I'm pretty sure that is for the Kayak hull only (without the AMA's) since they can be used separately. It would be nice if Hobie had two plaques, one for Kayak only mode, then another for AI mode, (I suspect they are only legally required to plaque the kayak hull itself). Perhaps they can clarify for us, or maybe it's better not to. I interpret the loading to be 600 lbs and two occupants for the Kayak, (this compares to some of their other boats (like the Oasis for example)). I then interpret the Tramp loading (200 lbs each) on top of the Kayak only loading, at least that's what I will be telling the CG (as they are hauling me away, ( in a whiny voice)), I'm just hoping they don't Taze me, (has to be a whole lot worse when your wet LOL).
My wife and I have taken our TI out several times now with her 200 lbs (90kg), and me 220 lbs (100kg), plus 4 scuba tanks lashed to the AKA's (30 lbs(13.5), ea), plus all of our BC's weight belts, fins, spear guns, coolers, beer, etc (another 100 lbs(45kg) for a total weight of 640 lbs(290kg), we have made many long runs (5-15 miles one way) in sometimes fairly rough open water and 15 mph+ winds) with no problems (mostly down in and around Key West, FL). On light days we have gone out snorkeling with 4 adults on board (two in seats and one on each tramp), about 800 lbs(360kg) loading with no issues, except the rear seat passenger is sitting in water (like on an AI), other than that the boat handles fine. But we tend to stay in shallow fairly flat water (just off Higgs beach in Key West). I wouldn't feel comfortable going out in open ocean with 15mph plus winds and 2-3 ft seas loaded down that much. I always carry 6 PFD's on board.
I'm not suggesting anyone do what I am doing, but I'm on my 3rd TI now with way over 2000 sailing miles on TI's with no major issues besides the normal wear and tear (broken rudders, AKA sheer pins, front AKA weld joint, etc), which I have had my fair share of. But then again we use the heck out of our TI's and just love them (perfect boat for us (living in Florida)).

Here is a link to one of the best video posts ever from Stringy showing a loaded TI, perhaps this will set your mind at ease ( viewtopic.php?f=70&t=38060&p=154879#p154879 ).

Thanks again Stringy, this is still my all time favorite TI Video.

Like Tonystott is saying though, you might have a defective hull with a thin spot, that should be checked out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Here is a link to one of the best video posts ever from Stringy showing a loaded TI, perhaps this will set your mind at ease ( viewtopic.php?f=70&t=38060&p=154879#p154879 ).

fusioneng,
Second that! and thanks for posting this.

Stringy,
Apparently... I never saw this video when it was first released in theaters back in August of last year. Watching it now I laughed so hard, tears were coming down my face! Very-very funny.

The guy in the front seat was your Boss :twisted: - Do you still have a job - Did you get a raise, or a demotion afterwards?
Hummmm - Maybe this is why most folks won't go out sailing with me a second time :? .

If you're still employed by this same individual you might want to let him know that your new Haka Benches help make for a much drier ride :lol:.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob and sEs. Rather than hijack Abisal's thread I've replied on the TI slomo thread.

Abisal,
I agree with the other replies. I can't recall any one else posting of this problem. Is the hull deflection under the crossbar occurring on both port/starboard sides of the hull? As Bob said the tramps are rated to 200lbs (in the accessories catalogue) so there should be no deflection with someone only 70kg hiking out. Our TI has had a lot more than that on it! :wink:
It does sound like the plastic may be thin/faulty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much for the replies and interest. The plastic gives slightly (1 cm) on either side of the central bar, with a 70 kg weight and waves. Not if it will fissure, but of course, the Ivory dune of 2012 is much weaker than the red in 2011. Hope yield only a little and not break over time because you need to navigate on the akas with winds of 20 knots or more.

I've seen the video astringy I mentioned a while and on youtube, I feel great and fun, congratulations! sorry for writing but I use google translator.