Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
The up/down line guide on our rudder has broken off. :shock: It left sharp edges which I filed smooth. We haven't sailed it yet to see if not having a line guide will be a problem. Do any of you know, will I need to get this part of the rudder replaced? Or do any of you fixt-it guys know of a way I could re-build a line guide?
I looked in the parts catalog to locate this part of the rudder. Page 39 has the rudder and some parts, but it doesn't look like what I need.
Thanks for any help you can give

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What year is your boat?

Your rudder looks like what I did intentionally to my rudder. There was a new short "gray" rudder pin with the guide on top. Have to remove about all of what broke on yours to get the new pin to fit.

Must defer to Matt but I believe there was a technical bulletin directing the change. I wouldn't have know about it but a dealer gave me a couple of the new pins.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Fly,
Thank you for your reply. I was moving my husband's boat over some logs to lift up to the bulkhead so I could load it on to the trailer. As I was hefting it up on to the bulkhead, it tipped over to the side and the rudder caught. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but the rudder pin was pushed up, and the top of it then was bent, and the line guide was gone :o
His AI is a 2010 and the pinhead you see in the photo is a new pin I replaced the bent one with. I didn't have any trouble replacing the old pin. Possibly because the line guide was gone?
Fly, so are you sailing now without your line guide? If you are, are you getting wear on your up/down line? Are you noticing any difference in the way your AI sails?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/811 ... dders.html

The link above is what the pins I received looked like. The cable guide is part of the pin.
It is the same twist and stow rudder, just on a 2010 adventure. The AI we have is a 2011.
With the new vertical rudder on the 2011, put the old 2011 rudder blade on the 2010 twist and stow as well as cutting the guide.
I use the smaller kayak sail and haven't had any problems cable wear, no loss of steering, and the up/down works fine. Or should I say "yet".

I did grind down a little more than your rudder lost in the accident and have the newer/different pin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fly, I found the thread for the pin replacement. Thank you. Did you use a dremel tool to remove the existing guide? Would a small saw work? I fear I will remove too much material. If you by any chance have a photo of your handy work, it would be of help to guide me.
I'll contact the good guys at Hobie NW today and order my pin.
Thank you again for your help Fly.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36220

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A dremel tool would work perfect with the little cutting disk. I used an electric drill with a cutting adapter and finished it off with a course and then fine hand file.
If worried about cutting too much use a hand file and to protect the rudder lines just wrap them in masking tape.
File and shape until the new pin fits. Should be too difficult shine the majority of the plastic is already gone on your rudder.

I will post a photo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Or photos.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Hope this helps

Yes, the photos are a great help Fly. Thank you so much. :) It is clearer in my mind now what I need to do. It's also nice to see I won't have to un-do the up/down lines and thread them through the guide.
Thanks again.