Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im experiencing a leak in my 08' Outback mirage well. Finally was able to locate the crack yesterday after six hours of fishing and approximately 1/2 gallon of water inside the hull of the yak. The odd thing about the crack is that its located in the rear area of the mirage drive well directly underneath the drive seal when the drive is installed. Just seems out of place to me after two and a half years of performing flawlessly, being well maintained and not abused. Most of the drive well crack stories seem to be in the front area of the drive well. Upon identification of the location of the crack, i then inserted the drive and pedaled with my hands while observing the crack from the inside and noticed a "flex" with every stroke, which allowed 1-2 drops of water to exit. I would love to repair with G Flex or Goop, but due to stress point, I am wondering if it would hold up. I purchased my 2008 Outback from a family friend in November of 2010. He rarely used it, which was the basis for the sale. It is a 2008, but was bought late in the year from Fairhope Boat Co., and had the "Click N Go, Twist N Stow rudder, and the V2 Mirage Drive". I am the second owner, and have had absolutely no problems with the yak and treat it as best as I can. Due to the length of time owned and second ownership, I dont know if id be considered for any type of warranty. I currently live in Pensacola Fl, and Key Sailing is the closest authorized Hobie dealer, but did not purchase the yak from them. Thank you for your time, and any insight you can provide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It can never hurt to take it to your dealer. At the very least you will get expert advice on repair options, or, in worst case, some sort of deal on a replacement hull. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Tony, I appreciate your response. I guess ill give both of them a call, let them hear the story and hopefully get some good repair advice. A new hull would be amazing, lol, but honestly im more concerned with just being able to fish out of non leaking Hobie! Its a small crack, and very minimal water intrusion, but im worried about the stress point though with a repair. I was thinking about G Flex, but like I said, with the crack flexing upon every pedal stroke, Im wondering if that would lead to also cracking a rigid surface such as a patch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dthomas142,

I too, live in pensacola. I know Kirk @ Key as well as Bahen over @ PK&S (an extension of fairhope boat co.) very well. Because of the 2 owners you are unlikely to receive a new hull, but a color matched repair should not be an issue, and either of those dealers will be able to provide materials to help out.

By the way, if you aren't already you may want to get into the Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association. We would have been on the scene to help you out in no time! It's just a great local resource and networking for local kayak anglers in the area.

Hope you can get that leak fixed soon, our annual spring tournament is right around the corner on 4/13. Win the inshore slam and you wind up trading out your 2008 for a newly minted outback.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help!

Tight lines,

Jay

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It can be fixed by competent plastic welding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called one of the dealers, and wont name names, but was advised to repair the crack with 5200 marine grade sealant. He mentioned that they fix them that way all the time. I would add a layer of fiberglass in between two layers of 5200, but a color matching repair sounds good if the integrity would match or exceed that of the 5200 repair. Personally, a plastic weld seems like it wouldn't possess the same structural integrity, but i could very well be way off. Thanks for the responses guys, even though i now realize that I posted this in the "Island" section. Lol, sorry. Any advice on which to go with would be great, and Nice to meet you Jay. I am a member of GCKFA and PFF, just dont get too fish as often as i want too, or as much as many other members, lol. I guess im kinda in the shadows.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie doesn't normally approve plastic weld warranty repair below the waterline.