Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minor nagging problem
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2012 TI that sails just great. Putting the mirage drive into the forward drive well is a snap [these are the new drives with the second guide pin that slips into a guide slot as the main pins are clicking into the locks in the well]. Not so with the aft well. As I slip the drive into the well, the guide pins go into the guide slot okay but the main pins try to sit on top of the locks and don't want to click in. After I rock it side ways and a little back and forth it eventually slips home into the locks.

Both mirage drives slip easily into the forward well, both mirage drives are difficult getting into the aft well. I wash the locks and drives after each use in salt water and spray lube the drives and locks.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time to see your dealer if it really bothers you, but I suspect it is just something making yours "special" :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to try to see what is tight or what is hitting when the drive stops during install. It may be an area that can be adjusted slightly (click'n'go) or can be filed slightly to make more room. I've seen a lot of variance between Mirage drive wells. I've had to build up areas in a couple of wells with epoxy because of too much drive rocking forward/aft.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Time to see your dealer if it really bothers you, but I suspect it is just something making yours "special" :)

It's sorta a long drive to the dealer......hasn't risen to that level of irritation yet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
You need to try to see what is tight or what is hitting when the drive stops during install. It may be an area that can be adjusted slightly (click'n'go) or can be filed slightly to make more room. I've seen a lot of variance between Mirage drive wells. I've had to build up areas in a couple of wells with epoxy because of too much drive rocking forward/aft.

Good thought: I guess I need to get the hull far enough off the trailer so I can play with the drive and well and find the impediment. Thx........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An update. I pulled the boat half off the trailer [stern supported by saw horse] so I could stick the drive into the aft well. Sure enough, where the starboard guide pin on the drive slides down into the slot, there was some flashing at the bottom of the slot that appeared to interfere with seating the drive. A little work with a pocket knife and some sandpaper did the trick. Drive slips in just fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great! Glad you could fix it that easy. Now you have the time to tell us sailing tales. :)