Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks tonystott and PutAway Wet.
I will avoid Loctite but I don"t think I can leave the slop be. Just doesn't feel right.
On the other thread, I have received advice on a couple of other fixes - large cable ties between clamps and blocks to further reduce travel, which I will try, and replacement of the spacer block under the mast collar with a new one with tighter tolerances in the vertical holes. I am dubious about both but will give them a go, and eat public humble pie if they work.
BTW, putawaywet is VERY bad advice, unlees you love mould. But then there's cheese and wine....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

abonnin, haha, but the first part of the saying is rode hard, the fun part. Kind of speaks to my take on the boat, use it. Also, my boat was a Rep's demo so it's not exactly pristine looking.

My thought on stopping the slipping was to try to avoid drilling the crossbars. About the only thing I had come up with was a sealant I use called Through the roof, very strong stuff. I would have put some under each clamp before tightening and then a bead on each side of the clamps. I think this would do it.

My other concern with this would be that all of those forces, which are now being dissipated in several areas, will now be concentrated on the hull at the location of the clamps. Not sure if this would be an issue but I'd rather have some slop in the crossbar than a cracked hull at the clamps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My "fix" was similar to yours except I used strips of fine wet/dry sand paper instead of electrical tape. I haven't put it into enough really high winds to be sure the problem is truly solved, but so far so good.

2010 Golden Papaya TI