Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had a Hobie Kona paddle kayak for about 5 years. On my last trip out I noticed that in the bow area the bungee cord is about to break, it dosen't seem to be a cord that I can easily replace as it seems to go inside the kayak, unlike the bungee located at the stern.
Also this bungee cord has the bow handle attached it it as well, if you own a Kona you've probable had noticed this.
My question is how do I first buy the correct hobie part (I don't see it in the online hobie catalog) and second how do I change it???
Please help!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Denise, I am not familiar with the detail of a Kona, but believe that what you describe is a normal shockcord end part no. 71115001. You can undo these with a pair of needlenose pliers (or buy the Hobie tool screw in fittings part no. 71115101).

Once you have undone these, you can fit a new piece of bungee cord, tying a simple knot in each end and tucking the knot up inside the fitting, ensuring that the amount of bungee between the fittings matches the length of the original (or a little bit shorter if you want to increase tension, but I don't think you need to).

Then screw the fittings back into the hull. When you do the second one, the bungee cord will try and wrap itself into loops, but just go back to the first fitting you screwed in and jiggle the bungee until you can unwind the loops. In due course, you should have a brand new bungee which doesn't have a life of its own (LOL) and lies flat ready to be used to secure the hatch.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info!