Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I have been sailing my new TI for about a month now. I have noticed some surface damage to the hull and AKAs where the AKAs apparently are rubbing during transport. I transport the TI with a Hobie cradle set on a Trailex trailer. I use two nylon straps wrapped around the hull and AKAs to secure the kayak during transport. Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to know if there are any solutions to the problem. Thank-you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, others have this problem.

Here is a post of mine with a couple solutions, there are other posts on the subject as well if you can find them: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40496

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To my complete surprise, I recently was told that the current instructions for the Hobie cradles state that the amas should be strapped down independently of the hull, leaving a gap between them. Strange, as the cradles certainly seem to place the amas extremely close to the hull... To do this I would need to weld on extra locating points on my trailer.

What I did was cadge a torn wetsuit from the local dive-shop as a freebie, and cut a 6 inch long "calamarie loop" from each thigh. I then put a length of pvc conduit through the loop as a spreader, added a loop of 2mm line with snap-shackle, and I clip this on to the fitting next to the ama handle. The wetsuit piece sits between hull and ama, giving a good 1/2 inch of padding to separate them. After two years, I see no signs of damage.

I have seen horrible damage from towing an Island on a dirt road though, and would not rely on any padding in that case, but would instead physically separate the hull and amas.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PappaDan,
I have a piece of 2" wide black velcro (the soft,cloth side) attached to my hull, where the ama touches it. The Velcro tape works well to separate these two surfaces enough so they don't scratch each other.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all for the timely replies. Obviously, I am not alone on this issue. I will come up with a reasonable solution. Only wish I had known about the problem before the damage. Hobie seems more interested in profit than customer support.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PappaDan wrote:
Thanks to all for the timely replies. Obviously, I am not alone on this issue. I will come up with a reasonable solution. Only wish I had known about the problem before the damage. Hobie seems more interested in profit than customer support.

Pappadan, nobody's perfect, but I would have to say that in general, Hobie is a paragon of customer support, so please don't lose faith in them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PappaDan,
I would have to agree with Tonystott and then some. Hobie absolutely excels in their Customer Support policy, above and beyond any company I have ever dealt with. It's one of the many reasons why they're so successful, and also why we continue to enjoy using our boats.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have used the edge protection tape for stand up paddle boards. It has held up well so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had chaffing issues when transporting my TI on the trailex as well. I went to Lowes and bought grey 3/4" rubber matting and cut two 24" × 10" strips. I wedge the strips between the amas and hull at the chaff point, then tighten my tiedown straps. Easy and cheap fix. I normally just throw them in the car while I am out...but you can also fold one the strips and place under the seat for more cushioning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It appears that I was premature in blaming Hobie for poor communication. The dealer assembled the trailer and cradles and apparently failed to advise me of the tie down requirement. My solution is piece of indoor/outdoor carpet doubled over and held in place between the hull and AMAs by 1'' nylon web straps with plastic clips. Thanks again for all the responses.