Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wheww! Looks like I was able to correct everything by adjusting the rudder lines. I do get a slight pop at the aft rudder handle. I think it's a knot that just skips past a piece of spectra. Here's a pic: Image

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On every Hobie kayak/sailboat I have purchased, the dealer (economy Tackle in Sarasota FL) setup the boats in there shop and went over the operation of the boat with me. If the rudder wasn't reacting correctly they have the expertise and know how to fix it right then and there before I take delivery. With my TI I also bought the roof rack system from them, They installed everything, made sure the boat fit on the rack safe and correctly, and loaded the boat onto my car for me where we Immediately left for the 300 mile trip to Key West. I have also seen them out at City Island (City Island is a Local sailing park) many times with first time owners on their maiden voyage, making sure everything works correctly, and the new owner knows how to operate the boat. I'm there pretty much every weekend and have watched them go over everything like how to furl the sail, how to raise and lower the rudder and most importantly how to lock it down correctly. I see them pointing up at the tells and describing how to read them.
I'm only mentioning all this because these boats are not some cheap boat you picked up at Walmart, they are very expensive sailing machines, quite a few of the issues I am seeing described here should have been caught at the dealer, before you ever see the boat.
Just my opinion and observation
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They went over the boat just fine. I missed it while there and didn't get a chance to ask them about it. If I have issues while on the water tomorrow I will call my dealer but I should be fine.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually thinking about it, shouldn't that have been QC'd at the factory prior to packaging?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I downsized your picture a bit:

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. I threw it up on imgur.com in its raw form. The big black knot in the left catches the piece of spectra that is perpendicular to everything. It only catches a little at the very end of the port throw of the rudder handle. I can only feel the catch in the aft cockpit. If I could get my arms in there to move the knot back about an inch it would be perfect. I don't know how you're supposed to work on these things I had more working room in the F-16's that I crew chiefed.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rudder performed flawlessly on the water yesterday. I didn't even feel the pop that I mentioned earlier. I did notice that the rudder felt a little more responsive from the front seat as opposed the rear.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TI_Tom wrote:
I did notice that the rudder felt a little more responsive from the front seat as opposed the rear.

I've noticed the same thing with my '15 TI. Wasn't sure if that was just because of me (way overweight) or what. Others talk about really preferring the rear seat for solo sailing but I find my TI controls a lot better from the front seat, especially the steering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

For others who may encounter the steering limiter problem or the knot catching issue, this is what I sent dealers last week. We discovered that shortening the up control line can clear the knot issue.

Quote:
Tandem Island Steering

The steering on a Tandem Island may be restricted or conflict with other control lines within the hull.

Hint: All internal hull functions can be more easily understood or diagnosed by using a video camera lowered into the hull to inspect the functions. The best is to use something such as iPhone FaceTime between two phones or to an iPad. You can move the camera around while viewing on the other device.

• One issue is related to a limiter line used to keep the steering handles from over rotating. This line is at the rear control. The limiter line is attached to the control arm and runs directly across to the opposite side where it is tied off. This line could be too tight and restrict full steering. Knots are tied in the line to tighten it and it is possible that it was made to short with too many knots.
o If you have this issue, look inside the hatch near the rear seat and rear steering control. The limiter line is just aft of the hatch and within easy reach. You would need to detach this line from the steering control arm and untie a number of knots in the limiter line to make it a little longer. It seems that the limiter is not critical to steering function, so some users have simply removed it.

• The other issue is related to the rudder up control line. This line, if too long, allows a turning block and associated lines and knots to conflict with the steering line. This occurs at the aft steering control handle area.
o If you have this issue, you can shorten the up control line a few inches. Lower the rudder and lock it down with the down control line. While looking inside the rear seat hatch, feeling or using a video camera inside the hull, pull on the up control line until the turning block hardware clears away from the aft control line conflict area. Mark the up line where you want to adjust the up handle location to. Pull the line further and clamp off to hold. Pop the cap off of the handle. Pull the knot and line through the handle until at the desired location. Tie a new knot to hold. Test all rudder function before cutting off the excess line and replacing the cap.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to know Matt. If I experience any issues I will give the dealer a call. I'm not confident in my abilities to work on this boat myself...yet.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think hobie should release a complete diagram of the lines inside the hull with labels. With this labeled diagram, problem description and solution details, eEveryone will be able to fix the problem themselves and save the trip to dealer. Matt's instruction plus a labeled picture or line diagram will be perfect for new ti owner like me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd second a good diagram.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

This is a combination of two existing sketches overlapped. The red line is the limiter and crosses over the rear turning block or knots in the line attached to it. By shortening the up line... you pull that block (and knots) forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt