Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just picked up my new 2015 TI and noticed that the centerboard seems to kick up very easily. When putting the centerboard down, the handle requires a solid pull up before it slides back. That's good - don't want it dropping down while launching. However when the board is down and I reach under the boat, I am able to push the centerboard itself back up with just a nudge - one finger is all it takes and very little resistance. Checking the handle/knob on top and it doesn't seem very "locked down" when the board is down.

I'm glad to have a centerboard that kicks up - I've seen the damage done on Corsair trimarans when they run aground with the centerboard down. Just wondering if the TI centerboard is supposed to kick up so easily? Shouldn't there be some resistance before it slides back up? Is the handle/knob needing adjustment to help hold it locked down?

Any and all advice welcomed...

~BoP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The centerboard is supposed to do that, mine too. As far as Corsairs they only made a few boats with centerboards, they fold when coming in contact with something. A daggerboard on the other hand doesn't move when hitting something. So if you spend a lot of time in skinny water be glad the centerboard and rudder will retract with contact.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My initial concern about the centerboard being too easily kicked up was unfounded. After a dozen sailing days this season, it has not given me any trouble at all and you're right diegokid - I've been damn glad to have it kick itself up in skinny water on the one (ok... two) times I've forgotten about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, I use my centreboard as my"braille" depth sounder in skinny water, as it is deeper than the rudder, and I "shallow-flutter" the Miragedrive if in use at the time. I place a hand on the centreboard knob, and can actually feel the bottom scraping, even before the centreeboard is moved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We designed it to be hard to lower (so it doesn't accidentally fall down while trailering) and easy to 'kick up' if coming into contact with something below the water or for beaching if you forget. Look at the handle mount piece on the deck - the up hold is square, and the up is ramped in shape - so lifting you just push the handle - but to lower it you need to lift up on the knob to get it started. This is all by design and normal. (page 28 of the manual shows this action: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/897005-tandem-island-manual-150701.pdf)