Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 TI water leak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been trying to hunt down a water leak for a while. We bought this TI brand new last fall and have always had a small leak. Usually after 2 of us take it out, we might drain a gallon or two out depending on how long we have been on the water, but yesterday we had 4 of us on board. 2 adults, and 2 teenage kids, cooler up front and fairly light gear otherwise. We was on the water for about 6hrs total and I must have drained 5 gallons out at the ramp! I've looked and looked and can't seem to find where the water is coming in. In the yard with a sprinkler didn't turn up anything. I was thinking maybe the hatch openings were seeping a little as they got splashed, but this is a LOT more than I would have expected. I'm thinking I am going to have to seal off each compartment to narrow down where it's coming from. Does Hobie warranty this sort of thing or do they provide any sort of assistance in fixing it or are you on your own? A gallon or so is no biggy, but after taking on 5 gallons in half a day, you start to set a lot lower in the water.

Post subject: Re: 2015 TI water leak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats a lot of water and needs to be addressed. If the boat is new thwn i would contact the dealer otherwise i would handle it myself.

First thing I do is fill the hull with water in the driveway and look for any below-the waterline leaks. Then, I make sure my rudder control line holes are filled with marine goop to prevent water entry when the stern sits low. Next I check all the hatch seals and rubber gaskets. The front hatch in particular has been problematic. With age and use the seal can begin to fail. Every year I add a line of pipe insulation to the outer edge of the underside of the front hatch cover. You can tell if you are getting a seal by looking at the indentation in the pipe insulation. If you need a visual, I can try to upload a pic.

I recently fouND a slow leak at the bottom screw in the gungen- where the rudder meets the hull. IN my boat, if that screw is loose, I get a drip , drip of water leak. Might want to look closely for that when filling the hull with water. Tightening the screw and using Loctight seems to have solved that for me.

Good luck, keep us posted.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will have to try that. I've done the sprinkler, but I hadn't thought about filling the hull and see where it comes out. Great idea! lol Yes the boat is new, we bought it last october, had it on the water once right after we got it, and several times this year. None of which were anything rough or damaging. I'll try filling it and see what I come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie recommend slightly pressurising the hull with air and spraying soapy water as detailed here
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575
Problem areas can be the hatches, scuppers, drivewell, gudgeon, drain plugs and seat pegs if pre '15 (no Vantage seats).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's another pretty good idea as well. Between the two, I should be able to find something I would hope. I'm going to do some searching tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That amount of water in the hull is WAY excessive (I have never had to remove more than a few pints, not gallons). There clearly is something amiss, and you shouldn't have to deal with this by yourself. I would see the dealer asap./

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I think I found a pretty significant leak. It may not be all, but definitely a fair amount. At the bottom of the mast, there is 2 bolts that have plugs in them. I filled the hull about half way with water and waited. After about 10 minutes I started seeing this drip. After about 30 minutes I had a fair sized puddle, enough it was running to the side. I think with pressure against it, i'll bet this is the majority of the leak.

Bottom of mast

Puddle after 30 minutes or so

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That did not happen on my boat. Definitely not suppose to leak there. Wonder if the welder could fix that?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's still draining, but I think I can pull those bolts and plugs and put some silicone in when I reinstall them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The brass fittings are molded into the hull, no pulling those. Have your dealer talk to Hobie Warranty. Below the waterline is not a good place for a quick fix.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
The brass fittings are molded into the hull, no pulling those. Have your dealer talk to Hobie Warranty. Below the waterline is not a good place for a quick fix.

Thank you, I will contact my dealer and go from there. For now, I pulled the plugs, filled the hole with some silicone and put the plug back in. I definitely don't want future problems though.

Take a look at these pictures and see if this looks right. Notice where the mount is, is not flat along the bottom. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but it sure doesn't look normal to me. I never really noticed it before, but it was probably there from day one.

Closer up

Plugs out. It sure looks scuffed up there, even though it doesn't have that much use on it. The front one (right) seems to be the one that was leaking the most.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kleake wrote:
Take a look at these pictures and see if this looks right. Notice where the mount is, is not flat along the bottom. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but it sure doesn't look normal to me. I never really noticed it before, but it was probably there from day one.
Mine look like that too. If you look close, you will probably see a thin line (CRACK) in the plastic leading from one or both brass fittings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked and didn't see a crack, but i'll take closer look tonight just to be sure. Seems odd that the sail mount deforms the bottom that much. You would think it would be a better fit than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Following this as I think mine leaks a little in the same spot. How did you take those plugs out? Do they just screw out? Is it still leaking after siliconing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dammit wrote:
Following this as I think mine leaks a little in the same spot. How did you take those plugs out? Do they just screw out? Is it still leaking after siliconing?

They thread into the inserts, however if you take a screwdriver and pry them out, they will pop out. Careful though, it would be easy to damage, but mine came out reasonably easy. I haven't had it in the water since so I can't say for sure, but will post as soon as I get a chance to try it again. I did contact my dealer and sent them pics. They said they will pass it on to Hobie and let me know what they want to do, if anything. We'll see.