Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out saying yesterday, and my bow handle came apart. I'd noticed the signs of rust coming from the handles on both my 2012 AIs, and this one is the first to fail. Looking at the metal insert it looks like a substandard steel has been used. For something used in the marine environment I'd have thought this would have been 316. A bit of a QC problem I think.....

Is it a case of buy new ones, or has anyone come up with a more robust solution?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have the same problem, I suspect the problem is mostly seen with salt water use. The problem is the carbon steel, (not stainless) used on the molded in inserts. Of course the stand offs allow salt water to reach the steel, which in turn rusts away. The simplest solution is when you install the replacement handles fill all the standoff holes and the area around the rope with silicone to prevent salt water entry into the molded in steel insert. This is likely not required if the boat is only used in fresh water.
Of course if I had designed the things I would have designed the insert from gf pp, (eliminating the steel alltogether), then overmolding with TPE via two shot molding, which would signifigantly reduce the manufacturing cost, (all really simple stuff). I worked for the company that invented 2 shot molding and held all the patents until the 80's).

If you don't want to bother with all that stuff, once your stock handles rust away, just replace them with another brand of handle (pretty much any brand), or do like I did and just cut a short length of 3/8 pvc water pipe, run some paracord thru the pipe and thru the eyelet, then just tie in a knot. On the heavier boats like the TI it's pretty easy to add two handles to both the front and back to make lifting a fully loaded boat a little easier.
Like always, all just my opinions, everyone else can do as they please.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Normal occurrence for me. I've gone through 2 handles this way on my 2012. All saltwater use. FE's solutions are all good. I chose to replace with another brand (Old Town).

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. Fusioneng. I like your idea with the water pipe. That's what I'll replace them all with. Both AIs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The PVC handles wiil cost you about a buck to make. 10 ft of 3/8 water pipe costs about $5 bucks, and 50ft of 500-700 lb test black paracord runs about $5-7 dollars, all available at Home Depot or Lowes. Thats enough materials to make 30 handles, if each handle lasts 5 yrs you will have a 35yr supply of handles (lol). You may need to buy a hack saw ($6 bucks), it takes about 5 minutes to make one handle.
FE