Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes sir. http://www.rescuetape.com/ Or something like it, on the mast. And the couple layers of sail repair tape over the inside of the offending cleat.

The rivet wear may be contributing to the sudden rash of carbon fiber failures. Let's also keep in mind that the new masts or longer and are loaded more heavily (with greater sail area, hull speed and Ama floatation). Oh- and spinnakers. Other engineering and manufacturing bugs may be involved too.

Till we know more, keep the dry side up, y'all.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
The rivet wear may be contributing to the sudden rash of carbon fiber failures.

NOHUHU, where are these failures being reported, as I have only seen one recently. Others go back as far as five years ago.

Serious question, not belittling the unfortunate breakage.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
A couple strips of sail repair tape over the cleat might go a long way as a preventive, and a sedative for those who are nervous about this.

This combined with glueless repair tape on the mast rub points will keep things safe till this is sorted out. I wouldn't use any sticky tape on the mast.

If masts continue to fail in this area after that, it will give the engineers more to go on.

What's wrong with sticky tape on the mast?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Admin

CaptnChaos wrote:
Might be a new Hobie product line on the horizon ... matching helmets in Hibiscus, papaya and dune :lol: Just kidding of course.

Masts, if they do fail, fail under sailing load and that means they typically fall away to leeward and drop like a parachute. The possible concern would be entanglement in rigging.

As noted in a post(s) above, there was an issue with early TI masts breaking that had nothing to do with the cleat rivet. As I had posted, we went to 100% stress testing and seem to be beyond that problem by several years.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed.

The AI/TI are among the rare boats that you can safely step or drop your mast while on the water. With a little effort, you still can sort things out and get home. In contrast, losing a 30+ foot metal or CF mast on a cat/monohull could result in a deadly blow or even amputation (from the shrouds). Plus considerable property damage. At the very least, a major intervention from the CG or other boaters. :oops:

If your TI mast does fail, the major trauma is more likely to be to your pocketbook.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:
The rivet wear may be contributing to the sudden rash of carbon fiber failures.

NOHUHU, where are these failures being reported, as I have only seen one recently. Others go back as far as five years ago.

Serious question, not belittling the unfortunate breakage.
There are a couple different threads now. I think we had 3 reported in roughly one week. Though not all new boats.

Anything later than an 2012 is "new" to me. :-(

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chad, I'd avoid adhesives on this area of the mast. Except for repairs. It's pretty exposed to the elements.

Ever tried removing any tape, even painters tape, from something that's been out in the elements for more than a month?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Chad, I'd avoid adhesives on this area of the mast. Except for repairs. It's pretty exposed to the elements.

Ever tried removing any tape, even painters tape, from something that's been out in the elements for more than a month?

Yeah, I'm sure it'd become a big gooey, sticky mess, I just didn't know if there were any other hidden dangers that I didn't know about.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CB, it starts out that way, then the adhesive gradually dries into a hardened epoxy-like state and fuses to the object. At that point it requires heavy scraping and solvents. Not good for the brittle CF strands. (It will even stick like hell to our poly hulls).

I've seen it many times. Keep in mind, I'm in Hawaii. The UV is brutal here.

The worst was trying to remove one of those pesky "High Voltage" stickers from an old aluminum mast. I would never want to do this with my CF mast.

I guess teflon pipe tape might be an temporary alternative to self-fusing repair tape.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Yes sir. http://www.rescuetape.com/ Or something like it, on the mast. And the couple layers of sail repair tape over the inside of the offending cleat.

Thanks NOHUHU.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There are a couple different threads now. I think we had 3 reported in roughly one week. Though not all new boats.

Claims for mast issues dropped off to a dribble in 2016. I don't know what year models they were from when claimed. I suspect that the mast (2013) in this thread may be related to the issues we were having back then.

I can't find other reports of mast failures in this thread. The only ones I can find are referring to 2012 and 2013 model years. Where did you see them?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
CB, it starts out that way, then the adhesive gradually dries into a hardened epoxy-like state and fuses to the object. At that point it requires heavy scraping and solvents. Not good for the brittle CF strands. (It will even stick like hell to our poly hulls).

I've seen it many times. Keep in mind, I'm in Hawaii. The UV is brutal here.

The worst was trying to remove one of those pesky "High Voltage" stickers from an old aluminum mast. I would never want to do this with my CF mast.

I guess teflon pipe tape might be an temporary alternative to self-fusing repair tape.

Gotcha, definitely don't want to be scraping on carbon fiber.

That rescue tape looks like some cool stuff, I can think of a bunch of uses for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:

Claims for mast issues dropped off to a dribble in 2016. I don't know what year models they were from when claimed. I suspect that the mast (2013) in this thread may be related to the issues we were having back then.

I can't find other reports of mast failures in this thread. The only ones I can find are referring to 2012 and 2013 model years. Where did you see them?

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15
5th post on page 2 Ttexpatriate's 2014

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a 2013 vintage mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

also

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=52415

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=57815

So, a few cracks recently on "vintage" boats, along with mixed reports of mast scoring from owners of the new boats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next