Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Akas
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had my dealer install a spinnaker kit on my new 2017 TI. They installed the 360* rotating cleats in the wrong spots...they can't turn all the way around because the rear clip for the paddle stops the rotation. This is the first AI/TI they have ever sold so they said they are learning on the fly with this one. As well as learning from me as I had done a lot more research before buying this boat.

Is there a way to plug the holes made by the screws after I move the cleats to a proper position to allow the to rotate 360*?

On a separate note my mast has a 4-5 inch strip of carbon fiber missing from the base of the mast! Like some how it splintered during manufacturing processes and the just snipped it off. I was told they can't do anything about it until it breaks which is a serious issue if I'm a few miles off the coast! So they recommended that I buy a $2,000 trolling motor for backup purposes...lmao...no way!

Post subject: Re: Akas
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would file a warranty claim, now question. That mast will break.

A misplaced spin cleat can be moved. Just put dummy screws in the drilled holes.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't worry too much about the missing thread on the mast. Take pics of it and file a claim, this gives you a free out if it ever breaks, you just say I told you so. I'm sure the masts are tested before leaving the factory, and your mast is in spec.
I did that on my first TI, I noted and complained that the weld on the AKA cross bar was cracked and would fail, (it did), and I told them the rivets on the aka bars were junk and loose, I could raise and lower the AMA's 6 inches. I did all this during the walk thru at the dealership and everything was logged and noted.
I also noted that the control ropes for the sail were rubbing directly on the plastic hull and were going to cut into the hull at the back of the boat.
It's kind of like doing a walk around on a new car, getting all the issues logged. Eventually all that stuff failed, and by then Hobie had re-engineered all that stuff and it was all replaced. Result we all have better and stronger boats now, Hobie does pay careful attention to feedback and logged complaints, then improves their product (continous improvement in their production process), this is admirable and deserves great respect (from me anyway, I'm a manufacturer). The boats coming out now are way better than the first few.
As far as going way out offshore with a stock TI, I highly recommend you don't do that, the boat is not certified for that, you are putting yourself in danger for no reason. Yea you can add more sails, harden the boat for offshore use, and add backup emergency systems like outboards and such. In particular the rudder system on these boats is very weak, and if it breaks while your offshore, you are totally screwed, and can't sail. Or if your sail or your mast breaks it's pretty impossible to pedal back 5-10 miles back to shore against the wind and current without a backup system.
In my case The first two times out offshore back in 2010 I got blown out to sea and couldn't get back to shore. I've never taken my TI offshore since then without an emergency outboard mounted to the boat (not even once). Doesn't mean you ever going to use it, but if you hit a coral head and rip your rudder off, or snap your mast, or a sudden storm comes up (a daily accurance in the summer off key west), you can at least get back to shore, (I call it get out of dodge mode).
My personal standard for offshore sailing is if I can't sail against the normal 5mph current, upwind in 15mph winds and maintain a vmg of at least 10mph you have no business being out there.
In my experience with a stock TI in 15 mph winds and against a 5mph current the boat cannot point high enough to sail upwind, you are sailing like a madman but with a negative vmg of 3mph, in otherwords your being blown out to sea and can't do a thing about it, (next stop Cuba). I'm not slamming the TI, just being honest with real world experience on these boats, everything described above has happened to me. Know your boats real capabilities (not imagined), it could save your life.
FE

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the concern for the OP is that waiting for the mast to break could result in him being in a bad place when it does. Something does not have to be broken in order to be considered defective. I would push for a new mast bottom section.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom:
Good point, I'm just sayin if he is going far offshore he should be prepared for a broken masts, torn off rudders, broken aka sheer pins, swamped boat, and capsize. That kind of stuff happens all the time offshore especially in tough conditions. I'm just sayin proper preparation, offshore sailing experience, local knowledge, and backup plans are a good idea if planning to go offshore thats all.
FE