Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2015 TI. I was out sailing in the ocean yesterday in about 15 knots of wind with about 1-2 ft of wind swell and the bolt that secures the mast base (the socket you plug the mast into) to the bottom of the kayak simply sheared off. I was tacking so there was a good amount of force on the sail. Still I'm surprised that such a failure could occur and that all that force is being applied to one small bolt. I think the repair will be relatively easy, but don't like the idea of this happening again. Luckily I was close to shore and there was a protected beach nearby that I could pull into to assess the damage. I was downwind of the harbor and wasn't able to peddle against the wind so ended being towed back. Any thoughts, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I can't figure out how to attach an image to this post.

Lee

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a warranty job. Don't attempt to repair it, go straight to your dealer.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LeeE wrote:
Still I'm surprised that such a failure could occur and that all that force is being applied to one small bolt.
Lee

The bolt is only subject to force if it loosens. It pulls down the mast assembly over two brass inserts that form nubs on the hull bottom. The nubs take all the force of the mast and as long as the bolt is tight there are usually no issues.
The socket bolt needs to be checked for tightness as part of regular maintenance. The bolt screws into a brass fitting moulded into the forward nub of the hull. It should be loctited into the brass fitting but it can work loose. The locknut pulls the mast assembly down and both nut and screw need to be tight.
A few years back there were failures and Hobie changed the socket bolt material to make it stronger.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The socket bolt on my 2015 TI also sheared a few days ago. Can you give me any ideas how to remove the broken part of the bolt from the brass fitting on the hull? It's sheared off flush with the top of the brass fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you follow the above link and others within the linked posts you will get some ideas for screw removal. Basically if its broken of flush you will need to drill into the broken socket screw and use a screw extractor tool. It's not an easy job and should probably be done by your Hobie dealer!