Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Leak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bow at Water Line, weak spot = Hull Leak. 5" Weak location Bow bottom/water line where the two sides are formed. Depressed Void has formed, paper thin. Not wear and tear, over two years old. This location must be known to Hobie. Not seeing any Post for this failure. Small stick or like item hit Bow / poke hole in this very thin weak location. Any suggestions from Hobie supporters? Lots of Failures detailed on the Forum. All seen Hull Posted Forum failures seem to be at Pedal Drive. Manufacturing weak location. Help?

Post subject: Re: Bow Leak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rotomolding process does not provide for consistent thickness. There will be thinner spots. If it was thin enough for a stick to poke through Hobie should have caught that in QC. I would file a claim through your local dealer.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom: Thanks for reply, I see your Posts through out forum, for years. Sacramento Ca has Hobie Dealers. Not one that supports contact with factory personnel, or up to date information related to Hobie community. The Hull would be seen as to old, and claim would be denied. Disappointed thickness not enhanced at this critical location. Production/Factory de-fault. Attempting repair and build up of Zone. Using old Kayak polyethylene. Filler material, propane Torch, Flat Knife, Non-stick Pan, with Turkey Boiler Grill; to molten scrap material. Then try to get G-Force Epoxy inside. Not reachable for application of epoxy, must use long paint stick. All these complaints and AI failures posted. Not looking forward to another 5000$ purchase. Every weekend like Lake swimming and getting a slow ride. Still dealing with old Rudder, Tape on the Sail, Mast epoxy, Seat failed, with cracks at holder location. There is not much choice of like boats, and this one can feel (real slow) some days. Not enough $ for alternative small Sail, ie: WindRider, Wetta, or even a low end Hobie upgrade. This type of Kayak, is currently all the budget I have, when transporting is included. Repair may last a while.
5-7 pro-weighted years on the Hull, would be a reasonable warranty. I see 2 years has been adopted. I have not tried contact with Factory. Happy to pay 1000$ for a replacement Hull. Not yet cracked at Pedal Drive.I did buy this new 10 years ago. The thin spot may still exist on New Boats? Check yours, by touch the depression/thin/weak spot can be felt. This area received Dock abrasions, but not enough to produce this Zone of weakness. Surprised last this long. Ok enough, out to check the repair job today. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shelby,
Did you have any before the repair pics?
If so you should have emailed them to warranty support direct. Hobie's warranty support is the best out there and if it is a manufacturing defect then I'm sure they would have warrantied the hull.
BTW- there are only two epoxies that stick to PE: 3M Scotchweld DP8010 or Loctite 3030. A successful repair in that area should be easy to achieve if I'm understanding the location.
Pics would help a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I did buy this new 10 years ago

10+ year old boat...

The area described is not prone to being thin. Quite the contrary, they are thick in the nose and keel areas. There is no hull bonding seam. The is a mold part line that runs around the hull.

Quote:
This area received Dock abrasions

Quote:
Depressed Void has formed, paper thin

This is a wear issue . Rubbed or sanded away and now concave... happens on the bottoms boats when you drag them over time. Even fiberglass boats.

This is not a defect or warranty issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)