Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

3 of the Harken Cam Cleats on my TI are not springing back to tighten down on the sail / rudder lines (both locks for the main sail and one of the rudder locks). I have gotten in the habit of manually locking the cleat to hold the line. I am trying to figure out whether I can clean them out with some type of spray (wd_40)? or maybe take them apart and re - grease? Or do i need to buy all new harken cam cleats?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those suckers are really expensive. I would take them apart and clean them if it was me.
Especially in salt water I always spray them off well with fresh water. If you take care of them and clean once in a while, they work well. I had several ( 5 across the front aka brace for all my sail control lines) on my TI 8 yrs old and still going strong ( used weekly all year round).
FE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it possible you tightened them (Philips head screws) just a bit too much? I did that once and wondered why they were working so poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have never tightened them at all. Other than spraying it off and putting WD-40 once in a while haven’t really messed with them. I think I will try taking them apart this weekend and cleaning them. Should I rinse and dry only? or should I add some type of grease after I clean it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sell them to me for cheap and buy new ones.

Or you could clean and oil them. I would recommend using a better oil than WD-40. A little bit of well placed oil should get it working again. Completely disassembling, cleaning, and oiling will make the cleats good as new.

For each side:
Step 1: remove the screw holding the clam in place
Step 2: remove the clam, careful to watch for the torsion spring that may jump out and run away never to be seen again.
Step 2.5: remove the torsion spring from the clam, if it hasn't already removed itself.
Step 3: Clean everything
Step 4: Lube it up
Step 5: Reassemble.

Quote:
Is it possible you tightened them (Philips head screws) just a bit too much? I did that once and wondered why they were working so poorly.

The clam cleats I have dealt with have compression collars (often built into the screw) that take the load of the screw, so you should not have to leave the screw kinda loose to get the cleat to work. Of course you don't need to tighten it with the fist of Zeus, it is just a little Phillips head. Now, perhaps these cleats are different, and KayakingBob may be spot on about over-tightened screws.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a '14 TI and sand/salt will definitely cause the cam cleats to drag or not close tightly. I've cleaned mine and replaced them dry. Lube may attract sand/salt again.

You can purchase micro cam cleat springs. West Marine part # 18808824, been on back order since November. I bought new ones through my dealer instead.

bill