Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a used 2015 Tandem Island. I am having an issue with furling and unfurling being difficult. I did a search and the only thing I could find was info. about friction in the main sheet or the mast receiver turnbuckles being out of adjustment.

The turnbuckles appear to be evenly adjusted and there is a slight gap between the flange on the mast and top of the drum. The mast rotates freely by itself but wants to catch when under tension.

EDIT : works great on the water. It just needs a little wind to get it going.

Last edited by monomer on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had been lubing the bearings on a 2015 TI with WD40 and had a mostly annoying rotation problem. I took the bearing apart, cleaned everything and that helped considerably.

Also, at the bottom of the mast base receiver is a metal plate with a pin sticking up that the mast rests on. Four screws holding this plate down tend to get loose and back out. Something to check also..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can’t put any oil based lubricant on pretty much any plastic, especially WD40, (which attacks delrin). Plus any lubricant of any kind, (silicone, teflon, grease, etc) all attract sand and muck, that would roll around in the bearings, ( shortening their lifespan ten fold).
Delrin ( acetal) is self lubricating and one of the few water loving plastics available.
If it was me I would take the bearing plate apart remove any grease and grime, clean the bearings. Inspect the bearings for any flat spots, also if you have the means to measure the bearings, insure they have not reduced in diameter more than around .002” in dia, if so the bearings are trash and need to be replaced, (any hobie dealer, or ack).
Same applies with the rudder system, (no lubricants of any kind).
If the bearings are falling out, it’s likely they are trashed, if after replacing the bearings, they still fall out, means the bearing chase, ( the chase is the track the bearings roll in), is also destroyed, ( needs to be replaced).
I used to sail a lot, and had to replace the bearings every couple years, (they are inexpensive).
When cleaning the boat just force fresh water with a hose onto the bearings and rudder system, don’t do anymore than that.
Hope this helps
FE

Edit: the system isn’t perfect, I usually grab the control line and give it a yank, or let the wind open the sail all the way.

Edit 2: if the white bearings have flat spots, if you continue using the furler, there is high risk of damaging the bearing surface on the mast furler drum, I did that on a couple TI masts and boy did I regret it, that furler drum is a royal pain to replace.
Just tryin to help here.