Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy All...so nice to have a forum to share the enjoyment of Hobie IA/TI

I am planning trip to Baja and will be taking my IA along on top of a 4runner.Been enjoying it on lakes for many years.

The plan is to make boat and drives as reliable as possible for minimal cost.Trying to figure out which spare parts to carry as well.

My IA still has the lever to raise and lower the rudder.I understand a kit is available from Hobie as well as a new balanced rudder.Are there any other updates available ?

I may have to push the mirage drive a bit harder on the ocean than what it has seen on Idaho lakes.I understand the drivewells could use some beefing up. I would really like a way to strengthen this area of the boat. Should I layer some structural adhesive over the weak spots / or ?. Does Hobie have a procedure for this?

Your ideas and mods are appreciated

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hull ID : CCM02573I607

Does the mirage cam hardware need to be updated?
Cam columns breaking look to have been an issue as well. There is some good information on repairing and strengthening the cam columns with split pvc and adhesive. Does Hobie recommend this procedure ? What adhesive do you recommend ?

Should I be calling Hobie directly ? just became familiar with these issues very recently in preparation for my expedition though Mexico.
The boat has always been stored and cared for meticulously but this trip will see more use than the last 10 years and it will be subjected to much harsher conditions.

Expedition launch Dec. 2018
I would like to visit the Hobie factory at tha time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Robin, don't have a lot of advice for you (my current AI is brand new), but I am curious about the journey. I love Baja, just never have been there with my AI (My son's motor boat instead). And I am starting to think of a similar journey for myself

Without having to share anything you don't want to disclose, would you mind sharing what your itinerary will be? Length, stops, whatever :D .

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Zorzal
First reply, Thanks

Sure ,planning to spend 4-5 months making my way very slowly down the Baja peninsula spending as much time as possible fishing and snorkelling and sailing the Hobie IA I have been thinking about doing something like this for a very long time and now I am just going to pull the trigger.No itinerery, no cell phone,boondock camping,adventure style.

50 and going younger
Regards
Robie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Robie, that sounds very nice, mat the force be with you!!!

As I said, advice I can give you is not related to conditioning your AI, but about Baja in general:
* Think about where and how will you get the water if you do multi-day trips
* Remember that in Mexico, whoever owns the ranch owns the beach as well. In many cases, you may find gringo-friendly hosts, but don't give it for granted; if unlucky you will know you were wrong at pre-only assuming friendliness when you hear very load noises :P Further, in some areas of Baja, there re small gangs who exploit lonely beaches and claim a slice off you *even* if they are not the owners
* Remember that SoC is known for sudden winds coming from shore, quite gusty and intense. You may make a whole expedition without ever getting to experience them, but they are there
* Consider doing the trip with someone else who also has a Hobie: doubling the crowd drastically reduces the severity of all risks (at least one order of magnitude)
* Drive slow: the holes on the pavement can be large enough to swallow your 4Runner, definitely enough to produce a shock big enough to damage your AI. Mine (also a 4Runner) still shows deep grooves made by rocks on the pavement on the underside, driving after a wind storm, miracle that they didn't crack the oil pan.

On the good side
* You are going at a great time for fishing, in one of the best fishing areas you can ask for.
* You will get spoiled by unbelievable sunrises... Like (March 2017)...

PS: I may be going for Thanksgiving, so I may miss you for just a month or so. Then again in March :) But mine are not expeditions, rather stationary

You will have a blast!

Zorzal
66, and going... wherever life takes me :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a fantastic trip in an incredible location, Robie.
You have a very early AI being an ‘07, and many things that caused problems have since been changed.
You are aware of the cam column problems so carefully inspect that area. If it was me I’d be doing the reinforcement as a preventative. Also, the drivewell ledge cracking was an issue in the early models, especially with Turbo fins, though if it hasn’t cracked now it may be OK, still, reinforcing that area would be wise. If you search for ‘epoxy’ in posts by Roadrunner you will get all the info you need.
The rudder upgrade, as far as I’m aware, was only for later models with the longer bolted gudgeon. Your model has only the short rudder pin?
The mast receiver was also changed from your 07 mast pin/receiver socket to mast socket/receiver pin. A worthwhile upgrade, if it fits, would be to replace the mast receiver/vbrace hex head socket stud with the much stronger slotted head stud. Make sure that stud is tightened down into the brass hull molding and that the locking nut is also tight.
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 6&p=204692