Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't find the thread that had the diagram for the rudder up/down controls on the TI. The tension bungie attached to the block for the down control has become disconnected, and I can't seem to tell where it should be anchored to. Anyone got a diagram or know where the bungie terminates?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try this page. viewtopic.php?f=117&t=44479&hilit=Rudder+line+diagram

The Tandem Island Tech Notes / Upgrades page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that NHH. Unfortunately the diagram doesn't indicate where the bungie terminates. It has a knot at the bitter end so I'm guessing there is a loop or other tiedown somewhere aft of the rear seat that it attaches to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just went out and felt around inside my TI. The other end of the bungee connects to the "down" line from the rudder. No other connections, it's just as shown in the link above.

Edit:
There is also a non-shock-cord regular rope in parallel with the shock cord, I presume to prevent catastrophic failure should the shock cord come loose or break.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tip: I've seen the bitter end of these lines slip from the T-handles and retract into the hull. Very difficult to fix, on or off the water.

Folks crank pretty hard on these lines at times. Good idea to reinforce the end knots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry, I don't visit the AI/TI forum much since I don;t own any, but I saw this and wanted to share my experience with the same issue. You however, can access this area via rear hatch:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54880

The shock cord in the Oasis and Sport (prob. most of the ruddered kayaks) has hog crimps attaching the bungie to the non-stetch black control line in two places approx. 1.5' apart.

good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:00 pm 
I recently posted on this forum about this prublem with the ai.(2015 AI RUDDER)
your tandem probably has the same setup. the bungy probably broke because it was too tight (prohibiting the the rudder from seating properly. and not performing 100%.)
All the bungy does is retract the T Handle , to reattach this to the down line I just tied another overhand knot in the black line further along so there isn't as much tension on this bungy.
Then attached the bungy with a cable tie.
The cable tie works fine because there isn't as much tension on the bungy now.
You should check the down line wasn't damaged where it was attached to the bungy.
Mine was nearly worn through .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my TI the lines were done in. So when I went to replace them I just eliminated those bungies and all the front seat controls. Much easier now to regulate tension on all controls, simplified. I am a back seat TI'er.
Oh and also I should mention I solved any issues with leakage from water thru or around those grommet holes running to the rudder from the hull. I bought some extra clear 1/4 inch tubing and 3/16. I kept the existing 3/16 tubing ran out of the hull and used a heat gun to mold the tubing to the outside hole. Then I used the 1/4 inch tubing, cut into 4 pieces about 6 inches each to adjoin/slip over the old tubing and new tubing running the rest of the way in the hull. This eliminating any leakage I had and now my ride is a very dry one with very little water in the hull. Also the 1/4 tubing can at anytime be slipped off to allow any emergency work on the lines upon the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just tied another overhand knot in the black line further along so there isn't as much tension on this bungy.
Then attached the bungy with a cable tie.
The cable tie works fine because there isn't as much tension on the bungy now.
You should check the down line wasn't damaged where it was attached to the bungy.