Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered the welding kit to repair a hairline crack in the hull of my solo Island. A reading of the directions shows that there should be a sharp, wedge-like piece to make an initial cut in order to weld a line of plastic down the crack. The directions refer to this piece as the sharp edge of the welding tip. The illustration shows clearly a wedge shaped piece on the welding tip to make the initial cut. The first kit I order had no such piece, so I ordered another kit after talking to my local Hobie distributor abut the issue. Well, you guessed it, the second kit also lacked the sharp edge. Has anyone on this forum had experience using this kit? I'm just wondering how to make a cut as narrow as specified without that sharp end piece. Any tips and advice are welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Admin

The cut is not done with the welding tip. The welding tips are a flat shoe shape. This cut you refer to is by knife or other tools to create a "V" "trough" to weld into.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt: Thanks for the quick reply. I will just do my own cut in the hull as you recommend. However, here are the word for word instructions on the back of the welding kit box: "Step 2- Preheat the welder at least 5 minutes. Clean the damaged area with soap and water, then dry thoroughly. Align the crack and hold it together with aluminum tape or duct tape on the back side. On the side to be welded, remove any oxidized plastic with sandpaper, then melt a v-groove into the plastic with the sharp end of the welding tip as shown."

Included in the directions are pictures of the oval shaped welding tip with a chisel-shaped extension on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Got it... that image is the tip rotated to the side using the sharp edge to melt the "V".

The verbiage Tip is confusing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)