Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refits to 2007 AI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been out of the Adventure Island game for a while (since 2011), but I just picked up a 2007 AI that has sat in a garage for about 10 years. I'm trying to piece together what can/needs to be refitted, and what can be repaired with stock.

It still has the lever handle for raising and lowering the rudder; it's my understanding that has been completely improved and I should pick up one of the retrofit kits for around $200.

The rudder steering lever/lines/etc. are completely missing. Has there been any major updates to that or is it good to simply replace with what I can find available?

The mirage drive seems to be a mix between V1 and V2 from what I can tell. Set screw masts, but it's going to need new fins I believe (one mast is coming through the rubber), and a new chain on one side.

Any major updates to the mast receptacle that can be easily retrofitted? I know on my old ones, the bearings would constantly fall out to the point I would stick the end of a pool noodle to keep them in. These have white ball bearings, so I don't know if that dates it at all, but if they have improved that, I'd spend some money on it as that was the biggest pain I remember from back then.

While upgrading the seat would be nice, I'm more interested in just getting this back on the water. I appreciate the patience, I know there are a few threads similar to this, but either they haven't been updated in a long time, or they simply list the changes without discussing what is important or isn't to refit. I did use the search bar, but if I missed an obvious recent thread like this please bring it to my attention. Take care and I'm SO glad to be back on the water.

Post subject: Re: Refits to 2007 AI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The retrofit kit for up/down rudder was a free upgrade. Maybe Matt Miller will comment if that is still so.

There also were a few other free upgrades for the early AI's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you @kayakingbob, hopefully Mr. Miller will chime in. I have already asked my local dealer to order me a retrofit kit for the up/down rudder, but if it was a free upgrade and the boat is eligible then I would certainly be interested. It seems like there was also talk of a retrofit to the aka arms as well that hobie provided, but I haven't seen much information about that.

It does at least have the notched rudder which was something else I saw was upgraded in the 2007 range of boats.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also I'm really enjoying going through your site seeing your modifications. Funny enough my wife and I literally bought tickets to Hilo for one last trip before we welcome our first kid. Looking forward to exploring the big island for a week, it looks like you live in paradise my friend!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

The kit and any old updates are no longer free for a boat that old. That was from many years ago of course.

81391002 RUDDER UP/DOWN LINE SYSTEM $189.00

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Matt, that is the kit I've ordered. I have the original bill of sale from Hobie (bill baldwin) to the dealer, the bill of sale from the dealer to the person I bought it from, and then of course the bill of sale to me, along with the warranty card.

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, but is there any of the retrofits that I would be able to claim or even get at cost?

Are there any retrofits that are particularly highly recommended (obviously the rudder up/down was a big one) that I should be seeking out?