Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Both sheets for my 2019 AI are about 5' too short. They work as is, but I often need to lean way forward to reach the end of the line when they are maximally retracted, and end right at the cleat.

Is this dealer error? Or does Hobie have precut sheets included?

Should I add more line to the sheet, creating a knot that won't be able to pass through the cleat? Or just replace the sheets entirely?
If the latter, what material & size should I use?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Both sheets? Maybe the sheet and the furler line? Being too short is not something I have heard before.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m assuming you may have meant you have a tandem Island? If so: Sheets are a single line with two ends where each will work so long as the other is cleated. So your options can be
1. to make one short (end at the cleat) to give more working length with the other, but then you have to keep the same sheeting location

2. extend a line (I don’t like this option unless you can splice the line without making a weak point

3. getting a longer sheeting line.

I decided I’d always sail from the rear, so the front is cleated right at the stop knot. That gives enough of a tail when the sail is eased out that I have about 6-12” behind the rear cleat, and I don’t have to strain to touch my toes to reach the sheet.

If you do have an AI, I’m no help, and don’t understand your question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, I thought "sheet" referred to any line. I'm referring to an Adventure Island, not tandem island.

The sail furler and unfurler lines are both too short. When furling it in a strong wind, it's quite a bit tighter, so rolls more than when unfurled, and the furling line runs out of cord, preventing me from totally rolling up the sail. If it were longer, I could keep rolling it in.

When unfurled all the way, and keeping it loose for going downwind, I have so little cord that the end of it is in front of me, and I must lean way forward to reach it.

What is the intended length of these cords? Does the dealer cut from bulk? If I should replace them, what material and size cord would be an exact match?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

12 FEET LINE FOR FURLER
32.75 FEET LINE 1/4 POLY DBL BRAID-VLS FOR MAINSHEET

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PelagicPredator wrote:
Sorry, I thought "sheet" referred to any line. I'm referring to an Adventure Island, not tandem island.

The sail furler and unfurler lines are both too short. When furling it in a strong wind, it's quite a bit tighter, so rolls more than when unfurled, and the furling line runs out of cord, preventing me from totally rolling up the sail. If it were longer, I could keep rolling it in.

When unfurled all the way, and keeping it loose for going downwind, I have so little cord that the end of it is in front of me, and I must lean way forward to reach it.

What is the intended length of these cords? Does the dealer cut from bulk? If I should replace them, what material and size cord would be an exact match?

Only the lines used to control sail tension, are called sheets. The rest are either called lines or halyards, depending on their function. So in your case the line spooled at the base of the mast which is used to control how much sail is deployed is the Furling line and the line connected to the sail is the Mainsheet. If I understand your question, when you are running downwind and have both lines released the Mainsheet is ok in length but the Furling line is at its max and difficult to reach? To solve this, I would tie the end of your Mainsheet to the end of your Furling line, this will eliminate the need to reach forward to retrieve it.

Your second issue was due to the Furling line being fully extended and not completely rolling up the sail? This honestly sounds like a setup issue you may have inadvertently done. When rigging, try rolling the sail up more tightly thereby wrapping the Furling line more on the spool, I think you’ll find this alone will solve both issues. Start by measuring your lines to be certain they are correct as Matt listed, then if they are, try my suggestions. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The lines (both the sheet and the furling line) are pre-cut by Hobie to end at the cleat with a little bit to spare. This means that when the sail is fully furled, one must reach forward all the way to the cross-bar to grab the sheet and unfurl the main. At the end of the sail, one must bend forward to reach the furling line at the crossbar.

For older, less limber folks, this is a pain. My solution was to replace both lines with slightly longer ones and ties the free ends to the cross-bar behind my seat. The lines are now always easily available to furl or unfurl the sail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
12 FEET LINE FOR FURLER
32.75 FEET LINE 1/4 POLY DBL BRAID-VLS FOR MAINSHEET

Is the furling line also 1/4" (6mm)?