Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Furler line issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, just purchased a new to me 2014 Mirage island adventure. Third time out in decent strong winds, and I ran into a potentially dangerous situation with the line. It jumped and wrapped above the collar so I couldn't bring the sail in. :shock: I just ordered the line drive kit as it wasn't installed, but how will this help the line from jumping up? The way it looks, it will keep it from winding under--an issue I haven't encountered yet. I'll install to avoid, but need a solution for the up jump.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Furler line issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have one on mine (and haven't yet encountered the issue), but I believe there was a free Hobie correction to this problem?
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 2d315a79ae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup, just purchased!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Keep a bit of tension on the line.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the line moving forward, but still wish there was a way to ensure the line won't wrap up. For instance, we have guests to our lake place and many will want to try the AI who have never sailed. I'd hate to think my niece would be out on it and have that happen. I also now worry about allowing it's use as there are so many moving parts to keep track of. I'd like to share and allow the fun, but want assurance of safety for both my guests and AI. Is there a mod fix I can implement to safe guard the line jump?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm pretty sure the additional part described above will be pretty good at stopping the issue from occurring.
As for guests using the AI who have never sailed, I would be a bit hesitant to let somebody who isn't confident that they can pick up the skills, and who doesn't at least have a rudimentary knowledge of sailing theory, out on it by themselves.
I spent countless hours reading about sailing, trawling (sort of a pun there) through forums, and checking out Youtube videos about them before I took my TI anywhere near the water.
If you have at least one trampoline, it might be a good idea to go out with people until you're sure they're competent enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You sound like me. I'm watching tons and reading everything. Agree, I'll be on the trampoline with guests to ensure safety for them and the AI.

Another question, I ordered the furler kit Hobie sent out under warranty, but cannot see how it fits on. Maybe it isn't needed on my 2014 AI and was intended as a fix for earlier models?

I did find a video where a guy added an o-screw where the line loops through and trimed to flush. That way the line ran didn't create the bump on the collar the line sometimes catches on. I'm considering this mod.