Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I recently got 2, 2007 adventure islands (apparently manufactured in '06). One had a longitudinal crack just inside the starboard front crossbrace mount. After hot stapling, welding and mesh on the inside, I believe I have a strong repair, but I believe I have discovered the cause. I had retracted the vbrace for the repair, and now with the vbrace firmly tightened, I find the mast 3/8" shy of clipping into it's latch. The mast step well on this hull is 1/16" less deep than it's twin, and the crossbar mast collar is 1/4'"closer to the deck and mast step. I'm quite hesitant to just crank the vbrace enough to raise the crossbar 3/8"; as I mentioned, I suspect that was the cause of the crack in the first place. My best thoughts so far are to either try to break the furling collar free and epoxy it further down on one mast (and make sure which mast went with which hull), or find some 3/8" aluminum stock and build a spacer between the crossbar and the deck, which will then stress the threaded inserts in the deck with an extra 3/8" lever. Other than that, my only thought is to use a heatgun to warm the hull and slowly crank that extra 3/8" and hope. Any thoughts, ideas hints or direction?
Thanks for any help- Peter, Newport Beach, Calif.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Follow-up- Stretching 3/8" was not too much to ask of the hull. I suspect mine split just due to a thin spot in the molding of the hull. For those needing to adjust their V-brace, first loosen the bolts holding the crossbar, and the locking nuts on both turnbuckles. I assumed both legs of the V-brace were roughly even in length, and used a socket set as feeler gauges since my calipers were too long to fit in the space, and slowly cranked both legs keeping the exposed thread lengths even on both legs. adjust to where the mast's furling drum clicks into the retaining latch, but does not rub on the latch or rub on the top of the crossbar. Having one of the old spring type retaining latches, I had to bend it out a bit to make it click firmly on the mast. One of my turnbuckles was considerably harder to turn than the other, but the mast appears square to the hull, and both crossbars appear parallel. Use 2 wrenches to tighten the turnbuckle locking nuts. Remember to tighten the crossbar mounting bolts firmly, and while you are in there, tighten the stud at the bottom of the V-brace, and also at the top of each leg.
If anyone has more to add to this or any corrections, please do.
Thanks- Peter.