Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was sailing today in 15kt wind and my starboard brace popped off and the ama started folding in. Luckily I was able to turn into the wind and secure it again. I tested it when I got ashore and found out it was very easy to pop off with about 10lbs of vertical pull. My port brace is very solid and I can't pop it off unless I push on the cap. Is there an adjustment or do I need to get another brace?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

crappySailor wrote:
I was sailing today in 15kt wind and my starboard brace popped off and the ama started folding in. Luckily I was able to turn into the wind and secure it again. I tested it when I got ashore and found out it was very easy to pop off with about 10lbs of vertical pull. My port brace is very solid and I can't pop it off unless I push on the cap. Is there an adjustment or do I need to get another brace?

Try cleaning and then lube the spring mechanism. If the end isn’t full returning to it’s fixed position, it will leave a gap and won’t be secure. If that’s not it, check the ball for damage/wear. If you can’t find anything wrong with it then replace the end cap and/or the ball.

CAP - AKA BRACE LOCK
$5.39

AKA brace Ball
$5.39

Last edited by maxwellmark on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There was an upgrade several years ago on these clips. I had the old style fail and it was only a few months old. The new ones have been trouble free, but I still give them a yank to make sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

quattroguy wrote:
There was an upgrade several years ago on these clips. I had the old style fail and it was only a few months old. The new ones have been trouble free, but I still give them a yank to make sure.

Are you referring to the aka clip upgrade? I was thinking the OP was talking about the aka ‘brace’ arm coming off at the ball mount on the hull. But maybe there has been an upgrade to that connection as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem on Father's Day in high winds near Sandy Hook NJ. The port brace simply popped off, the ama collapsed alongside the hull, and I went in the drink. So much for thinking that a tri-hull is super stable. Any suggestions beyond what has already been noted. It's very scary. You don't know when the brace will collapse, so it adds some anxiety to trying to sail in a brisk wind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have found that with the trampolines and/or hakas deployed, I can unclip the brace arm and the amas will not fold in due to the support from the tramps/hakas. For that reason, I don't worry about the brace arm because I always sail with the tramps and usually with the hakas.