Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AKA PINs and rudder line
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all
I'm a newby to the A.I. on Vancouver Island. I love this boat and have pretty big ambitions for it in terms of committed touring and big crossings.
I'm woundering about the strength of the connection points of the akas. There is some play (just enough to notice it) in these points on my boat. Has anyone ever heared of these points failing whether it be hairline crack or actually braking open. Also, most kayaks use a stainless wire to control the rudder. Seems like there is more stress on the A.I. rudder yet they chose the synthetic line. Is it stronger or should I replace it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to theAI world, I've only had my AI a couple of years and have never heard of any failures of the hull to Aka connection. If you read back in time there is an incident of the Aka brace coming apart but the breakaway bolt/nut is designed as such and spares come with the package.I'm sure more experienced people on this site will chime in son,again welcome.

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I got one from the first batch and had my front crossbar break at the wield. It was a bad wield. I was still able to secure the aka to the crossbar using a bungee cord and make it back to my put in.

I also broke the support brace locking cap about 20 mile from my put in. I tied it up with a boot lace and made it back.

I sail in the Chesapeake Bay and Va. Beach oceanfront. I have really put mine through some heavy stuff testing various spray shield designs and rudder hold down solutions. My AI has gotten me back to my truck safe and sound every time. Just be sure to carry boot laces, bungee cords and duct tape.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:47 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Regarding rudder lines.

Spectra can be stronger then some wire. Not sure what Hobie is using, but probably 300lb test or better.

The problem with wire is it rusts out, even stainless. I had a wire failure on my OC-1 for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds logical enough to me. The Strait of Georgia is 29 knotical miles wide where I intend to cross. The same route as the ferry system takes between Vancouver and Nanaimo. This will be a solo journey with the exception of notifying B.C. Ferrys of my intendid route so I appreciate knowing the craft is dependable in the conditions I intend to go in. At worst in winter storms the waves can reach 8' to 10' in extreem winds. Picking the right day is important but if conditions sour I need to be confident the boat will hold up. I'll do some storm day trials first but expect things to go fine. I appreciate any input. My boat is the 08 version with the turbo fins. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The trip you have in mind sounds risky to me. 29 nautical miles is a long way and if weather conditions change half way you will have a difficult time to get ashore again. (Both if the wind falls away or gets stronger than what the AI is meant to handle well). I'm not saying that the AI will break but 'she' was cleary not designed for heavy wheather conditions. Also, be prepared to get soaking wet, even with force 3 and (short) waves not higher then 30 cm.
Be aware also of the risks of hypothermia.
I do not want to scare you, I just want to make sure you are very well prepared if you go for it!

Gilbert