Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a good deal on one, do you guys think it's possible to transport the Hobie pro angler 17t without a trailer? I don't have space at my home for a trailer.. I have a Nissan Titan with 6 and a half foot bed, with the tail gate down that gives it even more support and if I get a Lund Hitch Hand Truck Bed extends that extends 68 inches in length. With that set up, would it work

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not a 17 but I put a 14 in a 5 foot bed with a 5 foot bed extender. So about 4 foot was still hanging off. As long as I strapped it down and everything and flagged it, everything felt fine. With that being said I am buying a trailer to make it easier. Are you buying a new one? If so do you mind telling me how much?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

carrlf wrote:
Not a 17 but I put a 14 in a 5 foot bed with a 5 foot bed extender. So about 4 foot was still hanging off. As long as I strapped it down and everything and flagged it, everything felt fine. With that being said I am buying a trailer to make it easier. Are you buying a new one? If so do you mind telling me how much?

Thanks

It's not new is a demo from a near by kayak store. $3200. You think I should go do it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's possible. Here is what a 16' Adventure looks like on a 6' bed with a Harbor Freight bed extender.

Obviously you have to be careful on turns not to swing the boat too wide.

Depending on how strong you are, another option is a lumber rack. In the same pic another Adventure is on top.

A third option would be a T bar mounted to your hitch and a cross bar over the cab:

In some cases you can flip the bed extender to turn it into a T-bar, shown here with a 18.5' TI hull:

As you can see, there are lots of non-trailerable options! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot brother, I'm gonna do the purchase. I see allot of family time with it, I have a wife and 6 year old son, I plan to buy one of those coolers that have a seat on top, to sit my son

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

finsfan07 wrote:
carrlf wrote:

Thanks

It's not new is a demo from a near by kayak store. $3200. You think I should go do it?

3200 is not a bad deal. I would definitely think about it if I had that opportunity. Especially if it is in good condition. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When you get your bed extender, make sure it is height-adjustable. The one pictured here is not. It sits too high, making a couple of handsome dents in the bottom of his PA-14. He could solve this by building up the height of his bed or adding plywood from the bed-extender, forward. One way or the other, the hulls on these heavy boats should be fully supported or they will dent! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haul my 12ft. pro angler as well as my 16ft. Coleman scanoe with a bed extender. That's good advice to make sure you get an extender that is height adjustable. Mine has adjustable sides which is a plus also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It can be done meaning it'll fit. But I would highly recommend against it. Remember it weighs 250 pounds and is nearly 4 feet wide, so loading and unloading becomes a pain in the butt to the point where you'll find it being a reason against going out that day.

With that said, I'd definitely pick up a demo unit for 3200. Give it a shot in the back of the truck for now, but I am 99% sure you'll end up getting a trailer after the first couple trips.