Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rack and Roll 78
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone tried transporting to P A 14's on a Yakima rack and roll 78? Going fishing in the morning and was wondering if we could safely carry to P A 14's or need to haul one of them in the truck bed.

Post subject: Re: Rack and Roll 78
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure if you have the bigger shocks for higher carrying capacity but that is what I have done. On a regular basis, I carry a fully loaded PA 14 and a loaded Adventure (kayak, not island) with no problem.

On one occasion, I hauled 2 PA14s and 2 Outbacks and it seemed to do just as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakima is a bit weird when it comes to how it states the load capacity for the trailers. With the 78 it specifies a load rating of 250 lbs. but then it also states that if you carry more than 200 lbs. with the trailer you should upgrade to the heavy duty shocks. The heavy duty shocks are rated at 350 lbs. but Yakima recommends actually carrying no more than 300 lbs. on the trailer even with the heavy duty shocks.

Two PA 14 boats will provide a combined load of 220 lbs. which should be OK with the standard 78 shocks or you can pay the $95 to add a pair of the heavy duty shocks and have more reserve load capacity.

Something to consider is the space needed in terms of the width of the boats unless you transport them on their sides. There is not enough space to mount two 38" wide boats on the Yakima trailer if they are sitting flat. I have two Revo 13's at 29.5" and there is not a lot of room to spare.

The Yakima Rack and Roll trailer is not a good choice for PA boats as the trailer cannot be put into the water and so you need to also have a dolly. With PA boats, if I wanted to launch the boats into the water I would get a jet ski trailer and add the Hobie cradles to it and have the best end result.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you're using saddles, there's room for 2 PAs on a Yakima Rack 'n Roll trailer sitting flat. With 3 inches between them for tie-downs, they stick out past the sides of the trailer by a few inches without any problem.
I back my Yakima trailer into the water all the time - no rust & no worries. Loading and unloading the PA directly into the water is effortless that way. After falling off a ladder and badly dislocating my right arm last spring, I can still manage this easily.
I've tried roof-topping and a few utility trailers, but have found the Yakima the best solution to transporting my Hobies (usually the PA12 and the Outback).
Another great feature of the Yakima is that the tongue slides back easily for storage, and there are small, rear in-line skate wheels to wheel it around when tipped on end. I slide mine into the basement for winter storage through a standard sized sliding glass door opening. The main wheels are easily removable as well for even more compact storage.
If I need to carry 4 kayaks, I'll put 2 on a roof rack, and carry 2 on the Yakima. I'll never need another yak trailer.

Set up for the PA and an Outback:

2 Outbacks up top on a Thule rig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thumper1

What hardware did you use to mount the Pro Angler cradles to your trailer? Which saddles are you using for the Outback, and how are they mounted? Are you still satisfied whit the setup, or would you do anything differently?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Yakima trailer comes with round cross-bars that can receive Yakima attachments, and mounts to attach them to the trailer's integral t-slot cross-bars. I did not use the round cross-bars, but instead, mounted the Malone Sea Wings (for the Outback) directly to the integral cross-bars, using the Seawings own mounting system. The Malone Sea Wings make excellent cradles for the Outback.

For the PA12, I've mounted the PA cradle to a piece of plywood base, and then attached the plywood base to the cross-bars using T-bolts. I am strongly considering removing the PA cradle and using it for static storage only, and only using a cushioned surface on the Yakima cross-bars to lay the PA12 on. With it's flat hull design, that should be all the PA requires for support.

On a duck hunting outing, where I towed my PA and an Outback along gravel roads during heavy rain, I found that sandy mud and small bits of gravel had splashed up and washed in between the cradle, and my PA hull. This wore off the shiny finish to the Hobie hull, and now I have two vertical stripes on my hull that look like they've been rubbed on with a wire brush! The Outback on the Malone Sea Wings was unaffected.
Also, the PA cradles are supposed to be a very specific distance apart - in order to provide a snug fit on the hull. The cross-bars of the Yakima trailer do not exactly match the span required by the Hobie PA cradle.

But even if the cross-bar span was perfect, because of the sand/gravel 'rubbing' issue, I would NOT recommend the PA cradle for a trailer.

Sorry for the long explanation! - but hope it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Thumper1, as I look at your trailer closer I see that you didn't use the Yakima Round Bars. The Hobie Cradle is out of the question for like you stated the bars are to close together and you cannot get the right spacing.

I'm really leaning toward the 4" or 6" PVC runners 3/4 the length of the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I plan on making that modification this spring, and using the cradles for a storage crib.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why 4" or 6" PVC? That seems too large to be able to flex and conform to the shape of the boat. I have 2" on my lift in garage for storage and it works great. I am picking up a trailer on Wednesday and intend to install 3" PVC electrical conduit as that is size that most others use.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use 3" for the main with a pair of 2" for the outside hull to prevent any sagging.

Bison Coolers Field Staff
Slumberjack Pro Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarheel69 wrote:
Why 4" or 6" PVC? That seems too large to be able to flex and conform to the shape of the boat. I have 2" on my lift in garage for storage and it works great. I am picking up a trailer on Wednesday and intend to install 3" PVC electrical conduit as that is size that most others use.

I was thinking that 4" or 6" would give more support, but the 3" that SWFLGamecock has looks to fit the hull nicely and the 2" on the outside is a nice addition.

I just need something that is easily removable because this will be kayak #5.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I am new here and looking for some advice. I am ready to purchase 2 PA 12 or 14 Kayaks and a Rack and Roll 78. I like both the 12 and the 14; however, i am having difficulty with how to mount 2 PA 14's on the rack and roll. any advice and images of you have found that works would be great. Mostly highway and paved road travel. Urgent request as i am ready to buy and anxious to get on the water.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thumper 1

After you get the PA's front on the trailer, how do you get it all the way into position?

I noticed the rope, can you pul it on? push it?

Thanks

steve

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Other users pls replay

Is it fairly easy to push a PA12 all the way onto the trailer after placing the bow in place?

wondering if an old guy can manage it

thanks