Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, thanks for posting the PVC pipe storage rack! I thought about using PVC, but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough, especially in the joints. NICO1 answered that question. I initially planned on hanging my PA12 in the garage, but I see now that's just not going to be possible with my garage configuration and with taking into consideration the weight of the PA12. I'd have to get a heavy duty hoist like the Racor Pro Heavy Lift. I don't think I'll be able to place it in a position that would allow for easy access. I needed a storage rack idea, but really didn't want to build a large wooden cart. Your PVC design is the way to go for me and I'll be building one this week. The only thing I may add is some locking roller wheels on the bottom. Glad this thread was started too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just glued this up today. I'll update later on this week after prime and paint.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

z06 wrote:
Bought a used PA14 and spent the weekend adding a bimini top.

Did you find one that fit or did you have to mod it heavily? I can't find anything on eBay that will fit the beam of the PA17. I found a 32inch one and a 51 inch one. Did you cut it down and re-sitch the top?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the delay....
Here's the dimensions for my red, PA12 support stand (with snazzy black electrical tape) shown earlier in this thread....
20" high to top of carpet
36" long horizontal supports that the PA sits on
12" center spacing between horizontal supports
27" end to end ground sections
Remember, the top horizontal section elbows are a press fit (not cemented), so the stand separates into 4 sections for easy flat storage when not being used.
I think if you add a few inches on the ground supports and the top horizontal pieces, a PA14 would be fine.

"A wet bird never flies at night"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanx boss!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Defy wrote:
z06 wrote:
Bought a used PA14 and spent the weekend adding a bimini top.

Did you find one that fit or did you have to mod it heavily? I can't find anything on eBay that will fit the beam of the PA17. I found a 32inch one and a 51 inch one. Did you cut it down and re-sitch the top?

Had to mod a full size one. Cut the framework down and er-stiched top. It does work well though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

playing around with C-Tug and Wheeleez...

here's just a tease... well, this is how far i got as of now...

here's the full worklog...
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 12&t=19201

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's fun to see ideas people have come up with and I've taken advantage of many. I finished my PVC stand similar to NINCO1's design. It turned out fantastic. I also solved a problem I had with my first trip out in my PA12 with a simple idea I had, so I figured I return the favor and share it. I like to store my anchor in the rear hatch, but when the wind kicked up and I went to grab it, I found that it slid down the hull and ended up somewhere in the middle that I couldn't get to. Same with my dry bag. I solved the problem by drilling 2 small holes in the criss cross supports on the underside of the 8" lid. I then looped in a couple of small key rings and hooked on some carabiners. I can now attach my anchor bag and dry bag to the lid and not worry about them sliding out of reach. Made it much easier to just turn around in the seat and pull them out without having to reach deep into the compartment. If I want to store something deeper in the hull, I can attach a rope to it and clip it to the lid and pull it up while kneeling on the seat. There's been no issue at all with the carabiners or ropes getting caught when I close the hatch. They just fall into the opening with no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that's a great idea... split ring and biners to keep your gear in place and not have to dig around for it!

gonna have to copy that sometime!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I raised the original plastic PA seat (the older style with the attached rudder handle) by attaching it onto a 7" swivel pedestal from Walmart.
I can now turn around 180 degrees and access the live well from above while still sitting, which is really convenient. The reason I bought pedal kayaks in the first place was due to a shoulder injury which makes reaching behind me (and paddling a long way) almost impossible, so this mod was a life saver. The rudder handle is still attached to the seat and there is plenty of play in the cable to turn around without pinching the cable
The raised seat is also great for casting and gives me a better view of the flats on Tampa Bay, and the kayak is still really stable. I can also fish off the back or sides of the kayak now, and can play a fish all the way round the kayak
Total cost was a little over 20 bucks and the swivel pedestal holes lined right up with the holes in the seat bottom, so installation took about half an hour total. I added a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood I had laying around underneath for weight distribution since spinning around might put some unforeseen stress on the kayak and seat mount. So far so good!
https://imgur.com/uU53nii
https://imgur.com/dPLAir5
https://imgur.com/gP0jBna

12-11-18 update
So after almost six months of using the raised swivel seat I can tell you there's no way I would ever go back to fishing with a lower fixed seat.
The added height and maneuverability makes an amazing difference when fishing. I honestly don't know how I would ever enjoy kayak fishing again without it. I'm getting ready to add the same raised seats to all three of my Native Mariners, and I'll be taking a couple of the kayaks fishing in Weeki Wachee in a couple of days. The Mariners will all have a 2-pc pedestal which I will be able to adjust the height on.

Last edited by cowmeat on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added the canopy from one of my Mariners to the Hobie today, and it actually fits the Hobie better than it fit the Native. It's a 2-bow canopy from Amazon (link below)
No modding necessary, it fit well enough as-is and took about ten minutes to install
It gives me lots of shade and I have plenty of head room, and it leaves me room to cast and to turn the seat around to access the live well
I can untie the canopy from the front and drop it straight back while seated if the wind picks up

I'll be out on Tampa Bay in the morning testing it out :D

https://imgur.com/MzgGagv
https://imgur.com/S5RCrzq
https://imgur.com/cCkCoEf
https://imgur.com/7pX3H6R

This is the canopy I have in case anybody would want to add one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by cowmeat on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216701872448606&set=p.10216701872448606&type=3&theater&ifg=1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Like most of you, I built my own rod holders, stand, and trailer.
Constructed rod holders to to fit the H rail using PVC tees and hose clamps.
Stand is from 2" x 4"'s with casters. Height is matched to truck, so the PA12 slides right in and out.
Made a trailer out of two 8' section of 1" square aluminum. Works great on boat ramps so I don't have to flip the boat. Can't post images, so PM me if you want see any of these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning everyone, I am the owner of a 2020 Outback, I was looking for a solution to install the Anchor Trolley without having to pierce the hull of the kayak, with a rope that goes from the front to the back or at least to the seat, does anyone have something? similar installed? All the best