Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built this to store my 2020 PA12 360 and I used 3" PVC pipes for the rails. Then I read that Hobie strongly recommends against storing it on PVC pipes. Great.

When the kayak is sitting on the pipes there are 3 touch points for each pipe (You can sort of see it in the pics). Should I switch to 2" PVC pipes, leave as is, or change to something else entirely?

(Admin edited. You need to use the image URL, not the page. Right click on the image and copy the link address. Then add the image tags.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if you just build a couple of arms off the sides of the cart you already have (which looks really well built) and then run straps across those arms then you can just let the yak rest on the straps and you will be good!

if you can help me with uploading pics I will post a drawing explaining what I poorly explained with words :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had to have an admin add the pics. You have to use a hosting platform like Imgur then use the Img button when posting and put the URL that Imgur provides in between the Img tags.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the 3” pvc pipe not recommended? I was told by my dealer that pvc pipe under the channel is acceptable. I keep it on the small tubular hobie rack which seems less supportive. But what do I know? I have only had my PA 14 for a month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:56 am 
Site Admin

PVC would need to flex and (curve) match the hull shape. Otherwise, it point loads the scuppers and they push up. That can cause the cockpit floor to distort at the scuppers. This is especially a problem when a boat is tied down and the rails are compressed downward. The deck pulling down and the scuppers pushing up... over time the plastic cold flows and distorts. Not good.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have another thread and after reading this thread i have some questions:

Fishaf,

What did you end up doing?

Mmiller,

The dolly I am making ( in another thread) will have some flex to allow the the pvc conduit pipes to flex. If, and I realize this is a big if, the flex is enough to distribute the load without point loading, would the pipes be a solution? Also, it appears that there is some scratching between the pvc and the PA hull in the original post above. I plan on using these pvc pipes for sliding the kayak on and off (basically using the pipes as guides), would the addition of indoor/outdoorcarpet to rhe pvc rectify this issue assuming there is one. In my mind the hull should slide on the pipes but Now I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The whole purpose of using PVC is to have lengthwise support that conforms to the hull, rather than having the hull conform to it.

So you can only support the PVC at the extreme ends - the center has to be free to flex and match the hull shape, which it can't do if you have supports in that area that prevent it from flexing. Think of the PVC acting in the way that a strap would - like a hammock.

And 3 inch pipe will be stiffer than 2 inch, which is also not good.