Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody have pics of their TM battery set up in front?

Just bought a 17T with a Minn Kota / Ipilot.

I plan to be solo or with my dog.

I'd like to keep my seat in the far rear. I figure the motor, battery and cooler way up front will balance me out and a cooler up their with cushion will be easier to climb over to stow and deploy the motor.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll answer my own question in case somebody else wants to know.

First time on the water today. I had the motor on and the battery up front. It pedaled fine but if I left the back to go to the front to deploy the motor the front would sink. At that point all the weight was in the front.

Battery needs to be in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you move seat to center after moving battery to the back or did you try staying in the back?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's needed to add the Minn Kota setup to my 17T. Specifically which motor and shaft length are you using? Are you using the Hobie mounting plate? I'm having a hard time finding the trolling motor mount anywhere (part# 72020090). Any tips for setting this up? I already have a Lowrance Elite 9 TI2 FF installed.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thedude130 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's needed to add the Minn Kota setup to my 17T. Specifically which motor and shaft length are you using? Are you using the Hobie mounting plate? I'm having a hard time finding the trolling motor mount anywhere (part# 72020090). Any tips for setting this up? I already have a Lowrance Elite 9 TI2 FF installed.

Thanks!

Probably better to go with motoguide since a minnkota only “talks” to hummingbird. Regarding mount, I bought one last year thinking I might need it. I know that they’re impossible to come by now. I might be interested in selling it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm back to considering moving the battery up front. I rigged the motor so I can deploy it while seated in the rear.

Reasons would be better balance and shorter cable length for hopefully less voltage drop.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

B.E.Coyote, I own a PA-14, not a PA-17 and recall from reading older posts after the PA-17 was launched, some owners who were the single person aboard had to add water bottles up front to balance the beast.

So, moving your battery up front makes perfect sense, and you answered the question about shorter battery cables to the trolling motor, decrease the voltage drop to improve performance.

You did not mention how much your dog weighs but removing the forward seat, to accommodate the dog in that spot will help better balance the kayak too.