Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler No Holes FF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:28 am 
Hobie Team Member

Here's how I did it on my PA. (technically It's how I did it on both my Revos and my Outback too) I realize there are other ways to do it, but it works for me. Also if your more of a clean out of the box guy RAM mounts makes a sail mount holder.

A little 1/2 inch PVC and a 45 degree elbow.

There is a hole drilled through the poly cutting board material I use for the base. The connection is made by using a slip to thread coupler and a threaded piece of PVC to attach the cutting board to the pipe.

The mount for the FF is mounted tothe poly cutting board with SS bolts and SS nylock bolts. (I got mine from Capt. Dick)

Using your favorite tape (duct, friction, electrical) and give it a couple wraps to snug it up. I used black electrical tape and have only stripped it off and reapplied once in two years. I also added the holes for the bungee, (it held that thing on in a nasty roll in the surf)

Here's the power. It's a cheap large acrylic dry box from wally world. It has a female trolling motor connector (they were on the discount rack at wally world and I bought a bunch at a dollar a piece) It just holds a twelve volt 9.0 amp per hour battery perfectly. (I also have some AA battery blocks that have matching pig tales so that I can use them in the box if I'm away and cant recharge the big battery)

Opened Up

Closed up Water Tight

Connector Open

Transducer gooped behind the sail mast. (by the way the sail mast screws out for easy placement. righty tighty, lefty loosey).

The ducer connections! I used the male trolling motor attachment!

The battery Velcro'ed in place and the wires connected.

Cooler liner back in place. Yes, Virginia you can have a Fishfinder and fermented adult beverage storage!

Buttoned up to hit the water.

Now maybe I'll get off my butt and paint the PVC black (I like to use black spray tool dip)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Neat do it yourself rigging. I really like your battery box setup. I want to do something like that for mine. We have identical batteries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm 
Hobie Team Member

EZrider wrote:
Neat do it yourself rigging. I really like your battery box setup. I want to do something like that for mine. We have identical batteries.

Thanks, I have enjoyed your rigging posts.
I use that battery for my fishfinder or bait tank. I'm building a new box with two outlets so I can power both.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:32 pm 
Hobie Team Member

There were some questions on how I got the cutting board connected to the PVC.

I think the pictures will explain it way better that I can do with words.

Here's the parts after I remove the three bolts that hold the FF base on.

it's a slip/thread coupler, cutting board with appropriate sized hole, and a threaded plug.

Close up with labels and assembly direction line.

Assembly....well....assembled?:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice work on the install, mate.

Be a bit careful shutting the hatch on the cable though. I had a similar set up on my Revo, with the cable coming out of the hatch in the same way. After a while the fish finder stopped working intermittently and then at all due to the cable being pulled by the hatch closing on it which resulted in a broken internal wire up just behind the plug on the cable.

This can be avoided by making sure that you have a bit of slack in the cable EVERY time the hatch closes. I got a bit lazy with this, one too many times and killed the cable.

I'm sure you've already thought this through, and sorry if it seems like I'm pointing out the obvious, but I thought I'd share my tail of woe with ya.

Happy fish finding!

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

<"I'm sure you've already thought this through, and sorry if it seems like I'm pointing out the obvious, but I thought I'd share my tail of woe with ya.">

Paul, No need to be sorry. Sometimes some of us need to read something several times & several different ways before we GET IT.

That's what I love about this forum, we all are exchanging information with each other. Never know what one is looking for, obvious to you but not me.

Thanks for sharing & keep sharing.

Bruce