Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got my Pro Angler today!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My local dealer had two Pro Anglers that Hobie rigged out for iCast. Mine came with the iFinder H2O GPS package, a pre-installed Lowrance X50 Fish Finder package, ram mounts for the FF, the GPS and a Ram mounted rod holder, another Hobie extended rod holder, built in Ritchie dash mount compass, the Hobie Safety gear bucket, plus all the standard accessories—all for the stock price of the boat—$2199. I couldn't resist!

I tried it for a few minutes this evening after the thunderstorms. It's a very comfortable boat, roomy and made for fishing. Can't wait for Saturday, so I can load my gear and give it a thorough shake down cruise. I felt very secure standing up to fish and sitting back down (I did this several times). I just can't get over how much room you have in this boat. It didn't feel cramped at all and it was even easy to access the area behind the seat—that was always a pain in my Outback (although my Outback was definitely easier to drag around).

There's one left (similarly outfitted). Action Water Sports in Auburndale, FL.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck with your new ride. You are going to LOVE it!!!!!
Took a newbie out today in the PA, when he got back in from fishing he ordered one!!!
The boys hooked, and starting out in the PA as your first kayak will spoil you.
Your Outback will be collecting dust, as much as you love her. It was funny getting back into my Sport today, felt like I was working harder than normal. Glad things worked out for you, GREAT price for what you got. Good luck!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sifisto wrote:
Your Outback will be collecting dust, as much as you love her.

I'm actually selling her to a friend of mine. His kid's and he are all Kayakers but his wife has a bad shoulder and can't join in the fun. So he's buying it for her (although I think he'll get some significant fishing time in it himself). :)

The Outback is a great boat. It's allowed me to do some river fishing here in Central FL (which is why I bought it) but I think this PA is going to be awesome. When I first saw it I thought Hobie must be reading my mind. It has just about every improvement I ever thought I'd like to have (except for a reverse). And it's got so much useful, and truly-on-the-water-accessible-storage I might even retire my milk crate.

This forum has been very helpful the last couple years. I received a lot of good ideas just lurking around. And the few times I asked any questions several members offered their experience and advice. It's a great group!

Thanks for the reply,
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the PA Scotman. I have used mine twice inshore and it is awesome. I had been fishing a Ride 135 so not only did I pick up the storage and quality upgrade but I finally bought a boat with mirage drive. I had been dreaming of one for 3 years after I saw my first Outback. I can hover and fish docks now in our strong currents!

In college I dated a girl whose mother is from Auburndale. I hope for your sake you don't know her!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, I just realized I forgot to mention that I got this deal beacause the boat had major ripples down one side. I don't think the other one does and so it probably doesn't qualify for the extra discount I got. The dealer gave me an extra 10% off. The ripples don't bother me much. I think some time in the sun should help me press them out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scotman: Regarding the ripples in the side of your PA. Hobie has a retrofit for this problem. It consists of two pieces of foam that fit between the inner and outer hull. In addition to stiffening the sides of the hull, they offer some extra positve flotation. Most of the new PA's have it from the factory. I'd advise all PA owners to check them out. Enjoy your new ride !!

Hobie Rod Extensions
Eagle Cuda 168 FF
Up/Down Line/Cleat Rudder Upgrade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you talk more about this foam...Do you contact Hobie for this foam ? ....Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

synthnut wrote:
Can you talk more about this foam...Do you contact Hobie for this foam ? ....Thanks, Jim

Yes do tell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your local Hobie dealer should be able to get it for you. It is two pieces (one per side) of tapered foam about three feet long shaped to fit in between the inner and outer hull (inside of the kayak) on either side just forward of the seat. The foam is grey and looks like the same foam that pool noodles are made of. Talk to your dealer first. He should be able to help. If he doesn't know about this, he should.

Hobie Rod Extensions
Eagle Cuda 168 FF
Up/Down Line/Cleat Rudder Upgrade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

The side ripples were related to shipping or storage of the boat on its side. The foam was to help support the sides during transit / storage. The ICAST boats should have been newer and would have had this foam.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The side ripples were related to shipping or storage of the boat on its side. The foam was to help support the sides during transit / storage. The ICAST boats should have been newer and would have had this foam.

any idea of production dates this foam started being added? my PA was made 5/4/09 as per the sticker on the back and it has no foam inside and ripples along the side.
I have to say Hobie hit a home run clear out of the park with the PA! I can't think of much they could have done to make it better..........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Sometime in May I guess. After your boat was built. Contact your dealer to get the foam.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got my new PA yesterday in Little Rock, Ar. at Ozark Outdoor Supply. I was surprised that it came with the side rails not connected/installed. I expected to install the seat and the rudder control but not the side rails. It looks simple but if so why not install them there? This may have been the first PA they sold here but it's the only local shop to get anything Hobie. Is this usual? I checked the boat from stem to stern. It looks great. The moss color will fit the lakes and trout streams I fish quite well I think. The PA is HUGE compared to my Hobie Sport. I'm not sure what I'll do with all the room.

I can't wait to land a big brown trout this weekend in the new PA. The world record German Brown Trout was caught about 100 yards downstream from my house on the Little Red River.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR, congrats on your new PA! I also have a PA in Moss. the bad thing about the moss color is that it is not very visible to power boaters on the water. I ordered a VISIpole from Yakattack.com to make the yak stand out a little better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another thing you can do about the visibility issue is go to Walmart and buy one of those bike flags. Fits in one of the pole holes on the stern, and costs <5.00. Just a thought.
I would like input about leaving the wheels on the PA when in the water. It will soon be too cold to reach in the water to retrieve and replace the wheels when putting in and out. What do you guys think?