Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anyone storing their P.A. on its side?
Since I cannot lift the Pro Angler shoulder high and horizontal I cannot make the turns necessary to get it on my apartment balcony, where I usually keep kayaks. I found a place in Oakland, called the Kayak Hotel, where I can keep it, but the spaces require that I store it on its side. In the owners manual it says it should be stored flat or on its end. I am thinking that maybe I will come back to find it warped beyond repair, especially this summer when Oakland starts to get hot.
Will I be forced to move somewhere that has room for the yak? I am living in one of my favorite apartments of all time, in a beach neighborhood that I could not normally afford, so I would like to avoid it.

Thanks, Opie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I store mine on its side. It doesn't actually rest on its side but rather hangs, cradled in 2, two inch wide straps. The boat is suspended just a few inches off the floor of my shed. I live in central Florida and it get hot here too. I don't notice any warping or deformation from the straps. If they will hang it as I've described I think it should be fine.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you could build a couple of padded props for it near the bow and stern to share some of the weight, and cushion the resting side to spread the load, that should help a lot. Just keep an eye on it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
If you could build a couple of padded props for it near the bow and stern to share some of the weight, and cushion the resting side to spread the load, that should help a lot. Just keep an eye on it. 8)

That's what I am thinking. Since Florida gets much hotter than Oakland, I'm hoping it will be okay.
Thanks,
Opie