Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did a little rigging on "Addiction" my Papaya colored Hobie Pro Angler 14. Still waiting on a couple of parts to deliver before I can complete the FF install. I am having a hard time deciding on where or if I should mount any rod holders. Any way here is what I did last night, I added a Yak Attack Mighty Mount for my Visicarbon Pro, I added the Ram mount for my 798, and lots of decals... Let me know your thoughts and ideas...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For what it's worth, I purchased some gear track and screwballs from yakattack and love the set up. I bought 2 of the 8 inch tracks and it allows me to mount and dismount my rod holders and fish finder in just a few seconds. All that's left on the mounting boards are the two half inch high gear tracks. I have to store my PA outside so that's where some of my motivation comes from as far as not leaving things on the boat. Not sure what your situation is but it is really a nice clean set-up. Good luck! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the gearest kayak in the world! lol
It looks like a great start, enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great looking setup so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice rig...!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had Scotty bases surface mounted and it became clutter. They were on the forward mounting boards but I wanted the rod holders closer to me. So I added the long extensions and then the tube rod holders. Again just to much clutter. I have a 2011 PA so I used the gear tracks and mounted them on the side handles. Used the gear track Scotty holder with t nut and then the rocket launcher holders. Now it's clean and exactly where I wanted the holders without the extras.

I also mounted 2 more gear tracks on the mounting boards, used one side for FF and added versatility. Yak attack has 2 different widths of track now, I went with the wider design, liked the larger footprint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice looking rig!!!!!

Any plans to pull your trailer w/ the Prius, or the truck in the picture? We were thinking of purchasing a Prius but heard they are not built to for towing even the lightest of loads. We would love to not have to use our Suburban.

Keep the pics coming...

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rbailen wrote:
Nice looking rig!!!!!

Any plans to pull your trailer w/ the Prius, or the truck in the picture? We were thinking of purchasing a Prius but heard they are not built to for towing even the lightest of loads. We would love to not have to use our Suburban.

Keep the pics coming...

Rob

Yeah Rob that is what I have heard too. I went to a few places that would install the hitch but not touch the wiring. They said that toyota does not approve for the prius to haul any trailer. So for now I am hauling the trailer with the tahoe. I do car top a RIDE 135 on the prius and even with the yak on top I get 45-48 mpg. Driving the tahoe I only get about 15 mpg which really sucks. When I launch the Hobie by backing the trailer into the water I swear it is too easy...

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I will continue contributing to this great forum that has inspired me to join the Hobie Family. Until next time, tight lines, Adrian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice rig!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very cool.

hug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got a special delivery...
Attached her right away
Ran some wires
The juice
The outcome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Adrian, Is that a Ram Mount product you installed in the drain area? Transducer? I have not seen that before. It looks like a super heavy duty skid plate???

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rbailen wrote:
Adrian, Is that a Ram Mount product you installed in the drain area? Transducer? I have not seen that before. It looks like a super heavy duty skid plate???

Rob

Yes sir it is fabricated to replace one of the drain plugs. The end of it has a 1" ball that can be used along with a ram adapter like this...

I just picked up a 1" screw ball from yak attack and used the mount that was already attached to the transducer...

I am headed to a small lake in the area to see how my reads turn out

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Way cool... What are you using to keep the water out of the hull where the cord is passing through the hull? Did you have this made for you or is it an off the shelf product? Great idea for those side imaging transducers...

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That mount looks neat, but I'd be afraid of it being a grass catcher and very difficult to clear without beaching the yak and the SI units don't like the transducer fouled with grass. I hope it works well for you and keep us updated on how it does.