Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler trailering
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am planning on getting a Pro Angler in the spring. I have a trailer already, but from reading some of the posts here I get the impression that the PA has some specific requirements for support. My trailer is an E-Z Loader rated for 500lbs. It has two runners covered with carpet. each runner is 1 3/4" wide and 6 feet long. They can be spaced from roughly 14-30" apart. Probably 95% of the time I will be trailering the PA less than 5 miles.

Should I :

A) Put the PA on the runners, they give plenty of support.

B) Try and attach a sling or cradle between the runners.

C) Attach a plywood flatbed covered with some cusioning material such as carpet.

D) Do something completely different.

E) Give up and get a more suitable trailer.

Any ideas and opinions would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you've got runners, go with it. Try it out. It won't take long to tell if you've got a "hard spot" that needs some weight shifting. You've got a good platform to start with. I think the width of the runners is narrow. But get it home, fit it and see what you need. I know you can make it work with a little modifications if needed. Weight wise it's fine of course. I don't know the trailer specifically, but I'll look it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my Pro Angler and I have almost the same trailer setup. I have been a bit concerned about warping. One thing I thought of is adding a roller towards the middle and maybe another front and rear. I would like to be able to leave it on the trailer. That really makes things simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, both of you, for the replies. The more I think about it, the more I think that my trailer will be fine for moving the PA providing that I make adjustments to maximize the surface area in contact with the runners. For 18 years I have trailered a fragile fibergalss and wood composite canoe on this trailer without any problems. No problems while moving, that is. Storage has been a different matter.
After a dozen or so years of being stored on the trailer, the canoe developed small cracks in the keel (running perpendicular to the axis of the keel), obviously from sagging in an unsupprted area. The PA, of course will not crack, but this will be an area where distortion is likely to occur. The other problem has been a small degree of color leaching from the synthetic carpet covering the runners into the hull of the craft.
I've read that the PA may be stored flat. It should'nt be to difficult to slide a board, cushioned with felt, perhaps, between the runners and the PA for flat storage on the trailer. This should eliminate the warping and leaching problems. Still thinking about this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You've got the good basic set up that can be improved upon easily. If you look around you'll see what I had to do "in a hurry" just to stop some caving in of the hull. It's doing it's job. I've still got to look into the Hobie saddles. Just get as much surface area as you can and it'll do fine. Good luck.