Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler H-Bar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just found out about the new Hobie stand up H-Bar for the Pro Angler while reading the new issue of Angling International. Great idea. I'll certainly be ordering and adding one to mine when they become available in the late summer.

They also noted that there will be a fly fishing stripping basket available for it as well. Another great idea.

I couldn't find a photo of it on the internet, so far, but you can get the idea from a stand up bar I designed for Native's Versa Board a while back. The Hobie unit is aluminum and like this one can be folded down against the hull (gunwhale) when not in use. Obviously it isn't as tall as this one but hopefully you get the idea.

In the meantime, fly fishermen who are aggravated at their fly line snagging on all the "stuff" in the Pro Angler already have a built in stripping basket, although they may not realize it. All you have to do is stand up and turn around and face the stern of the boat. Drop the seat and use the cavity in the seat frame and the mesh seat back as a very functional stripping basket.

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler H-Bar
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The following is from the current issue of Angling International, a fishing tackle trade publication from the U.K. I have no idea if it folds forward towards the bow or not. Perhaps Matt can enlighten us on that aspect of the bar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is guinness, Hobie has impressed me once again. I was waiting on something to come out like that. Way to go Hobie!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Going by the photo, it looks as if the roll bar is designed to lay down around the outside of the front hatch. The article says, folds down leaving front hatch and cockpit completely accessible. If it folded to the back, it would obstruct the cockpit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed. The shape seems to fit the shape of the forward area of the bow. So when it's not in use you're not giving up anything in regard to the Mirage Drive or front hatch.

A buddy and I are already working on a steering adapter to allow us to steer the boat while standing. We figure with one of the Mirage Drive straps in place, we can power it with one foot. Should be great for flat's fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

definately folds forward you can see the clips for the two support bars when folded. another great accessory from HOBIE. i think they must be the only kayak manufacturer with a 50 plus page accessory catalog...and it just keeps growing! great job!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, besides your "Trolling Motor"...this is another item that I will probably add to my PA when made available. Thanks for the heads up! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

This was not intended for public release. Was intended as the first trade show appearance of this accessory.

As noted in the article, not yet available. I expect it will be 2-3 months till we see inventory.

Yes, folds forward. It's amazing how cool this is for stepping in/out of the boat at the dock. For getting to a standing positing from the seat... let alone standing stability.

Not yet announced to dealers, no pricing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just what old guys like me need for standing up ........... would make it much easier and safer ............ shame you couldn't get it to market during the season ......... definitely could use one now !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another awesome idea. Not as innovative though, as I think one could build one very similar with a piece of conduit, some canopy attachments, and a bender :) A lot can be accomplished with just those items :) Sun shade, standing bar, outriggers, etc.

So, Tom....this 1 foot approach gonna be a secret too :) **lol**

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool stuff indeed.

I've never had, or even been in a Kayak before I bought the PA. I never thought this was a kayak, so I treat it like a 1 man boat. I cant wait to see the 2012 Pro Angler 2, all this cool stuff is standard, even the heated seat.

This was my first water test, it worked great. I see tailing Redfish already!!!

Team GeauxFish Kayak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Angling International released it to the public last week. I simply passed it along here.

As far as making your own - it wouldn't be hard to do and for very little money depending on what you consider your time to be worth. I wouldn't have designed and built my own motorized system if Hobie offered one for say, $800 or less.

If this stand up bar sells for less than say $150, I'd buy it in an instant rather than building my own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:

As far as making your own - it wouldn't be hard to do and for very little money depending on what you consider your time to be worth. I wouldn't have designed and built my own motorized system if Hobie offered one for say, $800 or less.

If this stand up bar sells for less than say $150, I'd buy it in an instant rather than building my own.

Amen Brother!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still think the ladder deal looks a bit scary to me. I'm 6' & 260....center of gravity would be a big thing to me and unless that thing is anchored down some way....no thank you :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with Curt. You can accomplish a lot with hardware-store materials and some ingenuity. I've been working on a design for a lean bar based on designs found currently on pontoon boats. It's not rocket science.

Will be intersting to see the design and pricing of the hobie lean bar. I love my PA and salute Hobie for their designs, BUT I'm concerned the H bar will be over-engineered and too expensive. (Like their electric motor system that costs almost as much as the #$%*!@ boat!)

Time will tell. I'm going to keep working on my lean bar design... I'll post pics if it comes out OK.

Also, I'm a fly fisher and can vouche that there are at LEAST a MILLION places to catch your fly line in the ProAngler. All those little buttons and tabs are a pain in the arse! I'm working on changing/eliminating these snag points. Standing to cast - with a stripping basket on the lean bar -would pervent a lot of the current hassle fly casting from a the seated position.

Cheers!

Bob