Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First launch PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got up and dressed, PA on front lawn on it's wheels, waders on, layers on, coffee in hand....time to walk the 1/4 mile down hill to the water; here's what happened then;

First and foremost, it became painfully obvious that:
-The Pro Angler is a tank....literally :shock:
the little inflatable wheels on the new cart are next to useless unless you are moving the kayak across a hard pack sandy beach or around your garage, it sits too low. Who was the genius that thought those up? Now I see why the cart isn't included with the PA, it's useless...with those wheels at least!
-The wheels are far back, causing most of the weight to be carried Looks like the wheels might fit in the front scupper holes which might balance the yak more and the rear handle looks more comfortable anyway
-The walk back up the hill made me aware of one thing; Pray to God, Mary, and the wee baby Jesus that wherever you are fishing, you can slide the yak off your rack into the water, this is definitely not an overland kayak, unless the big hard wheels are better (which I suspect).

Once in the water:
-It's a whole different ballgame
-It is SUPER stable!
-turns on it's axis
-is incredibly fast, surprisingly so!
-Very comfortable
-makes everything else fade away like the shoreline in the distance

End of the day, I wouldn't want to have to drag this thing much further than I did today, definitely not off road with these wheels, however once on the water I can't imagine a better fishing machine! Love It!!! Can't wait to go fishing in it!

I('ll post pics once I have time to figure it out!

Troutbum

Post subject: Re: First launch PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha Troutbum,

That is a funny story. I also have a PA and originally struggled with the weight issue. I actually purchased a beat up truck small Dodge Dakota with a rack so I could load both of my Hobie Outbacks and my PA on top. I have devised a method so that I can load and unload my PA by myself.

I'm also trying to figure out how to post pictures so if you do figure this out please share it with me. I'm going fishing today so wish me luck and hopefully I can post some pictures in the near future.

Best Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The other thing I forgot to mention was, the PA has a super dry cockpit.

I tried inserting the cart in the far forward scupper holes (just behind the mirage drive well) and tried wheeling it using the rear handle and low and behold it seems lighter and rides higher! The rear handle is way more comfortable as well.

I wish the cart would plug in somewhere around the mioddle so the PA was almost balancing, then there would be no weight on the handle when moving the yak.
Anyone else tried this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Troutburn,

I'm so jealous!! It is killing me that I couldn't get my PA in the water for some trials this past week. The weather was great. Now it's raining and cold.

When you say the cart rides too low, what do you mean? Do you have clearance issues to go over sticks, rocks and other obstacles? Or are you having issues with the stern hitting the ground while you move the PA unless you keep the bow fairly level? I'm thinking about getting a set of the heavy duty wheels that look like they will sit a bit higher and travel easier over obstacles. I'd be concerned about using the forward scuppers as putting more of the boat weight on the cart could damage the hull/scuppers.

Do you have the new rudder steering hub installed? I'm wondering if there's a big difference in turning radius between the smaller hub and the larger replacment.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the cart in the rear scupper and with the small wheels, the aft of the kayak was dragging going over humps and the axle of the cart caught up on everything. The axle could be helped with bigger wheels.

If anything the hull seems better supported in the front scuppers? Not sure, hopefully others can join in with their experiences.

While I was struggling down the road this morning, I actually debated trading the PA in for a new Outback with Turbo fins, just because it was such a pain to haul. Now I'm looking for options to make it easier. I wonder if my wheels from my Outback cart would fit? They are the golf club cart type. Obviously more testing is required here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't had to lug my boat beyond my garage and driveway, so your experience is good to know. Matt posted a picture this week of the Heavy Duty Cart wheels -- they are sounding more and more like a necessary option if I expect to use the cart somewhere other than clean hard surface or sand. I hate to spend the dollars,but I may just get a second cart with the HD wheels so I will have the option of the soft tires for the right suface. It looks like once you put on the HD wheels they don't come off.

What about the rudder steering hub? Did you put in the bigger hub?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Haven't had a chance to look at the hub yet, however I didn't notice any steering problems. The kayak seemed to turn on it's axis as long as you had momentum. Didn't seem to require any more correction than my Outback.

I'll try and pull the cover tommorrow or Monday and get a look.

I'm thinking about a 12" wheel like a kids bike would be good, wider the better. Maybe even a wheel burrow tire?? My Generator has the perfect wheel on it, don't know if it could be rigged to the cart, have to check the axle to yak clearance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha,

I did replace my hub already and it did improve my tracking capabilities. However I believe that on many occasions I'm trying to utilize the ProAngler beyond its intended design. Often times I'm in good size ocean swells and current. Therefore for my needs I'm having to adjust the rudder to often because it is a bit too sensitive under my conditions but I would guess that the rudder design works great for the majority.

It so happens that I do own a custom fabrication shop and I'm going to have my guys fabricate some custom cart wheels as Troutbum suggested. I suspect that one of the reasons (Amongst Many) that Hobie did not make a custom cart wheel system for the ProAngler is because after you have used the custom wheels you would not be able to fit them in the holes behind the seat which is where many Hobie kayaker's store their cart wheels.

Hopefully I can learn how to post pictures so that I can try and illustrate what I'm trying to say:)

Best Regards

Maui Mark

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is a good point, I want to keep the quick disconnect functionality of the wheels exactly for that reason. I'm sure there must be a supplier out there that has them. Even the plastic spoke ones from Hobie would be better than these things. Need wheels that roll over not thu terrrain.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TEST

Last edited by troutbum on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TEST

Last edited by troutbum on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it!

Last edited by troutbum on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Link has to go BETWEEN the Img Img!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by troutbum on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

See if this doesn't work.... if so.. I'll come back and explain it.
Yep, it worked. :) In my case, I went to Photobucket and in your case, flikr. I copied the link that had the "(IMG) on both ends......" and pasted it here. Clear as mud. Let me know if that doesn't explain it. Think you're copying one of the different choices or "url" or links. Use the one that has "img...blah blah blah img"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't forget to unclick the "Disable BBCode" box under the text entry box when you are posting picutres.

Yakkingaway, that's a sweet looking ride! I can't wait to put mine in for water trials on Friday. It looks like you pop the wheels off your cart and probably store them up front? That's a good idea, keeps the cart wheels out of your way while on the water. Did you get any fishing in on that trip?