Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First launch PA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

troutbum wrote:
Got up and dressed, PA on front lawn on it's wheels, waders on, layers on, coffee in hand....time to walk the 1/4 mile down hill to the water; here's what happened then;

First and foremost, it became painfully obvious that:
-The Pro Angler is a tank....literally :shock:
the little inflatable wheels on the new cart are next to useless unless you are moving the kayak across a hard pack sandy beach or around your garage, it sits too low. Who was the genius that thought those up? Now I see why the cart isn't included with the PA, it's useless...with those wheels at least!
-The wheels are far back, causing most of the weight to be carried Looks like the wheels might fit in the front scupper holes which might balance the yak more and the rear handle looks more comfortable anyway
-The walk back up the hill made me aware of one thing; Pray to God, Mary, and the wee baby Jesus that wherever you are fishing, you can slide the yak off your rack into the water, this is definitely not an overland kayak, unless the big hard wheels are better (which I suspect).

Once in the water:
-It's a whole different ballgame

So, park closer to the water and be happier all the time... I know I am with Hobie... Good Luck
-It is SUPER stable!
-turns on it's axis
-is incredibly fast, surprisingly so!
-Very comfortable
-makes everything else fade away like the shoreline in the distance

End of the day, I wouldn't want to have to drag this thing much further than I did today, definitely not off road with these wheels, however once on the water I can't imagine a better fishing machine! Love It!!! Can't wait to go fishing in it!

I('ll post pics once I have time to figure it out!

Troutbum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"So, park closer to the water and be happier all the time... I know I am with Hobie"

Guess I'll have to buy a Jeep again :? ....to get closer to the water that is. LOL! Welcome to fishing, Nova Scotia style. Water everywhere, but the best fishing isn't easiest to get to sometimes.

Seriously tho, I agree, that is what this thing is made for. Back in, unload, fish. Still throwing the idea of swapping her in for a new Outback/Revo?? We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool. If I get it on the water, I fish. I've even went out trying not to fish and it doesn't work. That "put-in" is right down the block from the house. Always something there even if I have to slobber something along the bottom. Great fishing vessel. Still waiting for my new steering drum. Might have to beg for it. I was somewhat disappointed trying to maintain a heading with the original drum. Anxious to get the new one. :mrgreen: And yes, I do stow the wheels and cart up forward.

Last edited by yakkingaway on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Troutbum.

That is some rough terrain you are launching your PA in; where are you in NS? I am in Dartmouth; I just posted Maiden Voyage. I know a couple of other local guys waiting on delivery of their PAs; we should arrange some type of tournament later in the year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha Troutbum,

You are a smarter man than me. I had to ask Matt Miller (Thanks Matt) to post my pictures reflecting all of the added amenities I installed on my ProAngler. Go to "View active topics" or "Hobie Mirage ProAngler" under the heading "Image posting request/Maui Mark"

You look like you have some nice fishing grounds in walking distance. Good luck and I look forward to some of your recent fish catch pictures from your new ProAngler. I have two of the Outbacks and I must tell you once you get used the ProAngler it is hard to get back in the Outback. I like the Outback very much and it is certainly much lighter but for many reasons you should seriously consider keeping your ProAngler.

Best Regards

MM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FishHawk

I am in West Porters Lake, 1km from the Provincial Park. My in laws live in Dartmouth. Looking forward to opening day! That put in is at the end of my street.

Just moved back home to NS and am getting used to new fishing areas as I'm a valley boy.

A tournament, that'd be fun! I am more of a trout/fly fisherman but enjoy all fishing. I build split bamboo fly rods and tie flies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maui Mark,
Don't feel bad, although you'd never know it by my snapshots, I'm a professional photographer/videographer and graphic artist and I even had a hard time! LOL!

Fishing season doesn't open here till first of April :(

I think changing the wheels will help. I have no problem getting it on top of my Subaru Outback though! LOL

Maui Mark wrote:
Aloha Troutbum,

You are a smarter man than me. I had to ask Matt Miller (Thanks Matt) to post my pictures reflecting all of the added amenities I installed on my ProAngler. Go to "View active topics" or "Hobie Mirage ProAngler" under the heading "Image posting request/Maui Mark"

You look like you have some nice fishing grounds in walking distance. Good luck and I look forward to some of your recent fish catch pictures from your new ProAngler. I have two of the Outbacks and I must tell you once you get used the ProAngler it is hard to get back in the Outback. I like the Outback very much and it is certainly much lighter but for many reasons you should seriously consider keeping your ProAngler.

Best Regards

MM