Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI all,
the time finally came with low March wind and water temps that indicate the crappie are ready to spawn so I took my new PA out for a spin. I was utterly amazed at how well this yak/boat moves along with the Mirage drive. This thing beats the hell out of paddling for me. I caught up easily with a Necky and Tarpon sit-in and I think they were amazed as well. Does it catch fish? I got my answer in the first 10 minutes. All day long other fisherman were going "where do you get that"...."that is cool"......."how much did that cost"...."did you catch fish in that thing". I learned a lot on my first time out in a yak. You have know your space or you will snag your stringer, your anchor line, or other poles as I did. I think I was concentrating too much on my depth and keeping the fin masts healthy during the breeze as I was close to a rocky shore. Although trolling with one pole and casting with the other produced fish....I had to use some "line" management when not pedaling. I've never used an anchor before and managing 70 feet of nylon rope in the boat when the anchor is up is a pain (any suggestions out there?). I have a trolley coming which should help my direction and a heavier anchor than 1.5lbs is probably needed too. My little anchor kept the PA down to a slow troll in the breeze, never really stopped the drift. Also I should use the cooler for the fish. The stringer of fish seemed to slow me down heading home. Anyhow I had a blast....I put 6 hours on the boat and never felt that I was too far away to return. What a ride......now it time for a fish finder.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Jack, welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you had a good maiden voyage and have no regrets with your PA purchase. You'll develop a line and space management system that will become second nature in no time. Congrats!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations on a successful first trip in your Pro Angler.

One of the better anchors for kayaks is a Bruce Claw anchor. I believe mine is 2.5 lbs but it holds me in water up to 30 feet.
I carry the Bruce Claw in one of those rod holders behind the seat and coil the anchor rope up and place it behind the seat. I, also, us an anchor trolley that allows me to position my yak pretty much were I want to.

Here is a pic of a Bruce Claw anchor and how to rig it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmmm, interesting info. I had planned on using my little folding one left over from my Outback, didn't think it would do much holding. Might have to get a new anchor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do some checking about proper anchoring and you'd be surprised how good a smaller anchor will hold you in place. All things taken into consideration of course. I find myself anchoring less anyways so I've made many trips without the anchor. I do use a stake out pole. Anchoring in 15 to 20 foot of water requires more anchor "rode" than I want to carry with me. My anchoring is usually in less than 6-8 foot of water. Bow into the current, an occasional flip of the pedals and I can stay still in almost anything. Drifting along a "light line" or across the current is another maneuver that you'll enjoy. Slight rudder, little pedal, and side-slip across a current, with or without anchoring. Damn I love these Hobies..... where else do you find a forum based solely on the performance, in's and outs, tricks and habits of a kayak? Looking at my wx forecast, I'll be out this week enjoying it some more. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool, Opening Day here April 1st so hopefully I'll get out to test the PA a bit more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I throw a bag of ice in the front compartment and my food and water go in there. any fish I catch get thrown on the ice as well, if it is not too hot it works ok.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There was discussion in another post about lining the cover of the front hatch with closed cell foam as a way to obtain a better hatch seal as well as to insulate the compartment.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=16360&hilit=hatch+leak

TDK