Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New PA owner as of last week. My PA came with a Hobie anchor trolley kit already instralled. I tried usng it a couple times and found that there was no good way to lock the trolley loop in place. I have my anchor line cleated off on the left gunwale, midway between the front of the side rail and the back of the mounting sideboard. When I dropped anchor and tried to place the anchor trolley loop toward the front or back of the yak, the resistance on the anchor line would always overcome the resistance in the trolley loop, causing the loop to slip to the middle of the hull and placing me broadside to wind and waves. I tried tightening up the loop on the bungee but in a stiff breeze, no amount of tension in that loop will overcome the tension in the anchor line. I tried pulling the upper part of the loop into the cockpit to stretch around one of the rod tiedown buttons, but that seemed like a long stretch and interfered with getting to my gear next to the seat. So, what have you-all been using to lock the trolley-loop in place when using an anchor?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Install a 'jam cleat' if there isn't one. Just for the trolley line. Depending on which way the "pull" is with the current, would dictate which trolley lead you'd put in the cleat. Might take two of them opposing but I think one will do it. Not sure of the "installed" system. I've never used bungee's in the trolley line and might get better friction because of it. Not sure. I've not used pulley's either. I always use some sort of ring and the friction has been adequate. It might require a yank now and then to adjust, but it's never been a problem. Someone else will have your same set up more than likely and might offer some better solutions. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw somewhere a zig-zag dock cleat that would have the advantage of holding fast regardless of the direction of pull (fore or aft) on the trolley loop, and also has no moving parts.
Check out http://www.amazon.com/Price-SeaDog-NYLO ... 12&sr=1-29
Anybody using something like this?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Me personally, I'd not use them. I've been caught in current/tide and had to release in a hurry. Even though it might not seem like it would take that long, if you've got your hands full of paddles and gear and need to release in a hurry, that might hang you up just long enough to be in deeper trouble. Absolutely a good piece of gear and probably work forever. A Jam cleat can grasp whichever line would be going in the right direction and releases with just a simple tug. I know those zig-zag cleats are being used. They hold great.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakkingaway - I am new to this, so help me understand. Why you would need an emergency quick release on the anchor trolley cord? I already have a jam cleat for quick release of the anchor line itself. Seems like if things suddenly got hairy, you would just cut loose of the anchor and be free to drift. Releasing the trolley cleat without releasing the anchor would probably swing you broadside to the current / wind pretty quickly and worsen your situation. Do you find yourself in situations where you are anchored off the bow, and suddenly need to swing the yak around 180-deg to be anchored off the stern while leaving the anchor down?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The anchor is the most important as you're leading to. My excitement came from the fast tidal run swamping up over the stern. At the particular time I was having the issue it was safer to release the trolley and swing rather than release the anchor completely as I was close to the pilings, not allowing me to power any closer to them. Just a situation I didn't need to be in. I put myself there. Knew better than position myself up-current of the pilings. But it's a situation we can all find ourselves in on occasion if not minding the store so to speak.
After I swung the bow more towards the flow of the tide run, I was able to work on the anchor itself. I was able to power out of the situation against the direction of tidal run once I got the bow turned around.
Hope that explains it some. Oh, and this wasn't in my PA, it was in my Outback.