Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just did a water test of the Pro Angler and Outback last weekend. I'll be fishing northern lakes in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada, and tidal basins and off the beach, if all goes according to plan. Now the PA is an awful stable boat and can carry a lot and you can stand it it easily; seems like it would be a lot more flexible fishing boat than the Outback, especially on these bigger waters.
But, dragging it down road cuts and national forest paths and getting it on my Blazer is going to be tougher than an Outback. I'm 62 but do my pushups and don't mind some hard work; I've dragged many a jon boat through fields to farm ponds. They say buy a boat for what you are going to use it for 95% of the time, and that would be an optimal fishing kayak. Of course if I can't handle the dang thing effectively to and from the water, then that's a problem. I've read the posts on loading the PA on vehicles and it certainly seems reasonably doable. Some of you have experience in both of these boats, or equivalent. What would you do?

Thanks much!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have em both. :D Either will do what you are wanting to do. But going alone and having to hump it, I'd do the Outback. I love my PA but I now use a trailer. As far as humping it across rough terrain, I'm not going to do it. I'll take the Outback on that type of trip. If I take off with the trailer(camper) and only take one vehicle, I take the outback. If we are going close in and camping, I drag em both with the other truck. The PA needs some serious consideration when it comes to wheels available for it too. It can hurt itself if you're not using the right wheels and have it supported properly. Not to mention you can hurt yourself too. :lol: good luck.

Last edited by yakkingaway on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just traded in our Outback for a TI earlier today, but from prior experience I'd recommend a trailer for either the Outback or PA. I have a bad back and threw it out when moving the Outback from the Hullavator roof rack to the wall mounts in our garage, and that was it for the rest of the season for me.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have both, the PA is a heavy beast to move around if you are by yourself, not so bad if you have a trailer that carries the PA low to the ground and you can get it close to your launch area.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The PA is a great boat but tough weightwise. A friend of mine has one and it is almost unmanagable without help or a good cart. Limits his trips but he manages. He bought a trailer for it so that helps greatly.

Crossing sand is tough unless done with 2 people or the wheels. I couldn't imagine trying to carry it alone. I'm not a big fan of just skull dragging my either. I have a revo so it is easy compared to the PA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had mine for 10 months and it is awesome. The stability, dry ride, storage for rods and tackle, it all makes up for the weight. I carry mine in the back of an F150 and load it myself. I have the cart with rolleez wheels and its a snap to move around. The only thing I can't do with it is launch from a mother ship like I can with a lighter yak. I like to paddle mine like a paddle board when I am looking for fish to. It paddle really easy like this. I may buy an outback or revo to deploy from a mothership although my buddies let me use there yaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

95% of the time I trailer my P/A and even then I usually solicit help loading and unloading........although I can do by myself.

However, if I pull my popup camper I have to put in on my roof top and man that is a chore. I purchased some suction cups from Northern Tool, cut them in half and using PVC pipe made some cheaters to help keep everything in place while I push it up on the roof top. It is still quite a task but doable.......now where is that heating pad for my left shoulder???? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mythman wrote:
95% of the time I trailer my P/A and even then I usually solicit help loading and unloading........although I can do by myself.

However, if I pull my popup camper I have to put in on my roof top and man that is a chore. I purchased some suction cups from Northern Tool, cut them in half and using PVC pipe made some cheaters to help keep everything in place while I push it up on the roof top. It is still quite a task but doable.......now where is that heating pad for my left shoulder???? :shock:

What is the tailgate extender used for? Looks like in the photo that the PA is not touching the extender??? Just wondering. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why drag it when you can roll it?
Use the optional wheels.
I do just to save the bottom from being scratched up.
The wheels make it easy to move and they are quick to put on and take off.

Willee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinwater skinner wrote:
What is the tailgate extender used for? Looks like in the photo that the PA is not touching the extender??? Just wondering. Thanks.

Not real useful with the PA but is useful when I carry my X-Factor which is another foot longer than the PA! Also, the PA in the pic is in it's garage position for storage, when transporting it is slid back so not to be so close to vehicle in turns.

Too much trouble to take off and put back!!!

Guess I am lazy!!! :wink: :D :D :D