Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mirage drive grease leak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My mirage drive was squeaking very loudly one morning. After a while it stopped being so bad, and when I got home I applied break free at every point and now the squeaking has stopped. When I was trying to figure out what was rubbing I noticed that in between the pedals, on the shaft they rotate on, I have a bluish grey grease coming out of both pedal shafts. The guy at mel cotton's , ( a Hobie dealer in san jose, but not where I bought mine), said that this is not normal and the grease should not be leaking out. Since it worked fine the next trip out, do I need to get it serviced or something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are no grease fittings or seals on a Mirage drive so the grease does come out some when new. If you use it a lot, dissembling to clean and re-grease once a year wouldn't be a bad idea. Otherwise, just spraying the medal parts with WD-40 after a fresh water rinse after use and checking the chain tightness is about all the maintenance it needs between uses.

Check out the FAQ here: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewforum.php?f=60 epically Roadrunner's MirageDrive Maintenence/Lubrication #1-3 near the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Grease residue on the inside of the drums is perfectly normal and harmless. Some gets deposited there when the drums are installed. The drums actually slide around a little bit on the shaft and can deposit a small amount of grease on the outside as well -- simply wipe it off if noticed. When the grease is dissipated or dried out, it's time for a re-grease. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's great, I really was not looking forward to having my P.A. down for maintenance
when the fishing are biting. The delta is on fire.
Thanks.