Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My PA Trailer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all:
I am a new PA owner (about 3 weeks). I wanted to say hello and share the results of the sailer I put together for my PA.

First the Trailer: I needed something sturdy but foldable so I can put it out of the way in the garage of my vacation home in the Sierras; and, it needed to be affordable. I found a nice folding utility trailer kit for $299. (I'll try posing a picture below - not sure if it will work.). Anyway, took me about 16 hours to build. Finished it on Friday and used it this weekend to fish Lake Alpine (Ebbetts Pass area, California). Worked great.

About me: I'm a fly fisher in NorCal. I fish a number of lakes in the Sierras and beyond. I am the outgoing president of Tri-Valley Fly Fishers in the Eastern Bay Area. http://www.tri-valleyflyfishers.org/.

Glad to be a member of the PA Nation.

Tight Lines,
Bob

Post subject: Re: My PA Trailer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gre4at picture of your completed trailer.
Can I ask you where you got the utility trailer from?
Also,
What do you use for the kayak to rest on while trailering?

Could I e-mail you with a few questions on the other materials you used?
Thanks

[email protected] :?:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bek7200: check your e-mail for detailed info on the trailer.

Anyone else that's interested in more info can e-mail me.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bob,
You are going to love that PA! I have had one since last summer, I only use my Gregor mostly during the cold months now. I fish the highway over from where you fish (highway 88). This last weekend I fished a secret little lake near Hope Valley twice, I ended up catchng and releasing around 80 trout on flies and lures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a vacation home near Twain Hart on 108, so I like to fish Pine Crest until the snow starts to stick - as late as Thanksgiving. Used to do it in a float tube, but by the end of October the water is so cold you can only stand about 1-2 hours with your legs in the water. That's part of why I got the PA. The water level in late fall is too low to launch a conventional boat and the water is too cold to float tube. The PA should be perfect for this. Also lloking forawrd to trying it on New Mellones in Winter (Jan-Feb).

Some of the best fishing of the year is still ahead of us in October and onward. The Lower Sac should be fishing well soon. Then the steelhead come in on the Klammath and the Trinity in November-February/March. Pray for rain in early November.

Hmmmm... Secret lake in Hope Valley. I'll have to get my maps out - unless, of course you'd care to e-mail the location to me. Your secret is safe with me! ;-)

Tight lines,

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,
Are you going to rig up a fishfinder and rod holders and all the other assorted goodies on your PA?
I don't like to take my PA on big water lakes like Melones, Comanche, etc. because of the power boaters and because the wind can really blow up some rough water. I prefer the small water lakes where there are no power boaters (some of these lakes don't even allow gas motors) and if the water gets rough I can get off the water quickly. I have put my PA in 8 or 9 small high country lakes in the highway 88 corridor this spring, summer and fall.
I went back yesterday to the secret lake for a 50-60 (all rainbow trout) fish day. :D as you can see you can drive right to the water's edge, makes for easy launching.

kept a limit of rainbow trout as honored guests at our dinner table:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude! Nice pics! I'm still waiting for the e-mail with the location of "secret lake" ;-) Ha!

I agree about staying out of big water during peak boating. Pinecrest is usually the biggest water I fish from kayak or float tube. I haven't tried Mellones yet, but we had a guide from that area speak at our FF club meeting last month and he mentioned hitting a specific area of Mellones in winter - Jan/Feb. He said boat traffic is way down then and that it is safe even for float tubing. He mentioned waiting for newspaper fishing reports to show that people are catch from the shore.

Will likely hit Pinecrest in the next week or so. Most boats are small and there are fewer and fewer as the water drops. Eventually there are zero power boats when the water gets beyond the end of the ramp. Alpine is on the schedule this month as well.

Tight lines!

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great work on construction of the trailer!
I live in New Jersey and the regulation is that the boat can not exceed the back end of the trailer by more then 24 inches.
Do you know how far your boat sticks out in the back and if I can modify the trailer to make sure I can gain the length I need to comply with the regulations?
Thanks

Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the picture of your trailer. I just bought my new 2010 PA and am waiting for delivery should be here Friday. I have a small ATV/Boat Trailer and the pictures of yours gave me some good ideas on how to modify it for my PA.
I want to thank all you guys for all the great info you post on this forum. I've been reading for quite some time while I was deciding to take the plunge and get my PA. I live in Chino Valley AZ, and have never seen a Pro Angler in this area, but I'm really looking forward to getting mine on the water and taking advantage of some of the tips that you all have shared on this forum. My nearest dealer in about 100 miles away and it's a bicycle shop. They don't stock any PA's and wanted an extra $200.00 handling fee just to order one for me. I wound up buying one from a very accommodating dealer in Colorado. The New Anchorage in Lyons CO gave me a great deal on the boat and accessories and even with shipping was way better deal than my local distributor.
I just wanted to post this mainly to thank you all for being here when I needed information and to say I'm really looking forward to joining the ranks of Hobie Pro Angler boaters. Thanks again, Tabasco Don